More than likely. The stuff they left out just fleshes out the story
a bit more.  One of the problems with the film seems to be that it's
never explained why the attack happened there or how they chose
Barrow. The graphic novel explains that and introduces the whole
vampire watcher subplot.

In the graphic novel a group of upstart vampires plans the hit on
Barrow. They hate the rules they live by (keeping hidden, etc.) and
want a big slaughter. The old guard doesn't take kindly to this
because they know if their existence is proven humanity will crush
them.

The main vamp is basically a cleaner. He comes to deal with the
upstarts and practice some damage control after he's informed about
Barrow. When that isn't possible he decides to cover it up by leaving
no survivors and no town. Barrow will become a modern day Roanoke
colony.

Unfortunately they kept the original ending which was the weakest
part of the story.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I wonder if those of us who haven't read the graphic novel could
still enjoy the film, not knowning what was changed drastically?

> From: "B. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I'm hearing some mixed takes on the film. People have read the
> graphic novel said it seems to capture the spirit and look but cuts
> out the backstory. The plot is already paper thin so that's
probably
> not a good thing.
>
> Apparently the major subplot about the group trying to prove that
> vampires exist by getting some hard evidence has been cut from the
> film.
>
> --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, KeithBJohnson@ wrote:
> >
> > Did anyone see this vampyr flick? For some reason, i wanted to
see
> it, probably because the bloodsuckers look vicious and ghoulish.
This
> hails back to the older legends of the vampire as a nasty thing
that
> *ate* parts of people, not just innocently sucked their blood
through
> two small holes in the neck. I've mentioned recently that I've
> started tiring of the vampire-as-tortured-soul concept (Angel,
Blood
> Ties, Moonlight), and the whole sexy-cool vampire guy has worn thin
> to me too, it's been so overdone. I've been wanting someone to
bring
> back *frightening* vampires a la Nosferatu or "Salem's Lot". I'm
> hoping someone saw it to let me know if they succeeded....
> >

> > ****************
> >
> > Vampire film "30 Days" crushes competition
> > Sunday October 21 1:19 PM ET
> >
> > The new vampire thriller "30 Days of Night" sucked the life out
of
> its box office rivals, opening at No. 1 with estimated weekend
sales
> of $16 million, according to studio estimates issued on Sunday.
> > Meanwhile, moviegoers ignored three new high-powered dramas
hoping
> for awards-season recognition.
> > The crime drama "Gone Baby Gone," marking the directing debut of
> Ben Affleck," opened at No. 5 with $6.0 million; the CIA suspense
> drama "Rendition," starring Reese Witherspoon, limped in at No. 9
> with $4.2 million; and the domestic tragedy "Things We Lost in the
> Fire," starring Benicio Del Toro and Halle Berry, barely flickered
at
> No. 15 with $1.6 million.
> > Box office pundits said an onslaught of R-rated dramas in recent
> weeks had been too much for moviegoers to digest. Recent entries
such
> as the terrorism thriller "The Kingdom," the period
drama "Elizabeth:
> The Golden Age" and the legal saga "Michael Clayton" -- all
boasting
> Oscar-winning talent -- have disappointed to various degrees.
> > "I think people are looking for froth," said a studio official
who
> did not want to be identified. "How much reality do you want?"
> > Light fare has ruled the box office in recent weeks. Incumbent
> champ "Why Did I Get Married?" slipped to No. 2 with $12.1 million.
> It had ended the two-week reign of "The Game Plan," which is now
No.
> 3 with $8.1 million. Before that, the zombies of "Resident Evil:
> Extinction" were the top draw.
> > "30 Days of Night" pitches a horde of zombie-like vampires
against
> a handful of residents in an Alaskan town going without sunshine
for
> a month. Josh Hartnett and Danny Huston star in the $30 million
> project, which was distributed by Columbia Pictures, a unit of Sony
> Corp.
> > Writer/director/actor Tyler Perry's romantic comedy-drama "Why
Did