i hear you! i have so many DVDs i need to buy now: this one, Deep Space nine,
Battlestar Galactica, Avatar, Justice League, and on and on....

From: Daryle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
This is on my gift list, especially when I saw the packaging. If my wife
takes the hint and gets me this I will probably buy another copy of the
DVD in regular ol¹ packaging so that I can actually WATCH the dangone
thing. Great stuff. This is one of my favorite movies of all time, right
behind ³Brazil², and I wish Universal would do a special anniversary
release of that.

On 12/18/07 12:44 AM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Supposedly this is really, truly the last release of "Blade Runner". If so,
> this is worth picking up. One of the greatest scifi movies of all time.
> Period. I listened to Ridley Scott on NPR yesterday, and he says he's finally
> completely happy with this cut of "Blade Runner". He's cleaned up the
> soundtrack, the sound, and most of all, the video. Scott says he wasn't able
> to fight the studio over the years for the first few cuts, to his great shame
> and disappointment. Hence, the first version with Harrison Ford's voiceover
> narration (which both Ford and Scott hated doing), the happy ending, and the
> suggestion that Deckard is human. I'm not sure, but i think the final cut
> loses the voiceover. It definitely adds back the suggestion that Deckard is a
> replicant himself (Scott thinks he is, but Harrison Ford, ironically, argues
> that Deckard isn't a Replicant).
>
> Read the IGN review at the link below. It's long, but worth the read. It might
> be fun to shell out the extra dough for five-disc version instead of the
> two-disc set, so that you can actually see all the different versions and make
> your own decisions in the great "voiceover or no voiceover" debate. Either
> way, for those who love this film, you gotta buy this. For those who've never
> seen "Blade Runner"--you gotta buy this. A classic, with so much that
> influences film making to this day, a great retro/future look, fantastic
> acting (especially by Rutger Hauer).
>
> IGN review gives the film a 10 out of 10, and gives really high marks for
> audio and video presentation. I may have to delay buying "Planet Earth" in
> favor of this....
>
> ***********************************
>
> http://dvd.ign.com/articles/841/841607p1.html
>
> Quite prescient, this Bryant fellow, don't you think? Sci-fi fans have been
> looking for that definitive Blade Runner magic ever since many of them first
> laid eyes on this groundbreaking movie way back when. That it took a whopping
> 25 years for this film to be finally done in a manner that befits its director
> Sir Ridley Scott's vision is a cinematic travesty. As any fan of the movie can
> attest to, Blade Runner's long-running saga of home video release delays, poor
> quality video transfers and the existence of an incredible six different
> versions of film (not counting Scott's latest version, dubbed "The Final
> Cut"), only helped to compound the problem of the movie not getting the true
> recognition that it so richly deserves.
>
> In fact, the film only received a lukewarm response from most moviegoers when
> it was first released in 1982. Many did not understand the complex story (even
> with the last-minute addition of a voice-over narration holding the audience's
> hand) and for what it was worth, it had to go up against the phenomenon that
> was E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial that fateful summer. Having a dark and almost
> despondent story certainly did not help its case when compared against the
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: