the media lost its backbone, integrity and courage a long time ago. It's been
coming for a long while: the emphasis on ratings instead of good
reporting...the  proliferation of models reading the news (watched CNN lately?
They have more Asian/Amer-Asian female anchors than you would believe, all
young; and Fox News is obssessed with blondes)...the old requirements of
reporters who are well educated/traveled/experienced going out the
window...corporate ownership of news divisions, with staff reductions,
consolidations, and budget decreases in order to turn a profit... freakin'
*entertainment* divisions of said corporations controlling the news
divisions...megalomaniacs like Rupert Murdoch stamping their one-sided
viewpoint on everthing from print to radio to television...and finally, the
backing down in terror of the insane jingoistic xenophobic berserker rage
sweeping America after 9-11. The media lost its backbone indeed, with even
"liberal" groups like the New York Times and CNN
backing down on telling the truth about how Bush and his coterie were fuc****
up the world.

 MSNBC fired Donahue because he was upsetting the administration and his bosses
were gutless. Donahue was required to have *two* conservatives for every *one*
liberal he had on his talk show. Seriously. The New York Times buried whole
stories casting doubt on the whole Al-queda/Hussein/WMD crap inside its paper.
Everyone from ABC News to CBS warped stories critical of the administration so
as not to offend. The Fourth Estate let us down, and i'll never forgive them
for that. While many of us were typing and screaming and voting like demons to
stop this insanity, the press cowered in a corner and through action or
inaction, helped it take place.

Sorry, I'm ranting, I know, but I'm getting angry just typing this. Journalism
is the "one that got away", the career i should have chosen instead of IT.
Corny as it sounds, I still remember my days as my high school's editor, and I
adhere(d) to the old principles of Who, What, When, Where, How, and Why.
Journalists must tell the truth and get the facts, and dig for the
story--popular or not. If you don't have truth--the facts--and don't have the
courage to speak them in times when the whole world is against you, then you're
no good to me.

You should listen to or watch Bill Moyers' special "Buying the War", which he
did for PBS earlier this year. I have it on my iPod and have listened to it
several times. He speaks of many specific examples of how the media backed down
on this whole Iraq thing.  He's the one who interviewed Donahue about how he
was treated by MSNBC. Amazing, disturbing, and infuriating report.

Our media has a long way to go to get back to what it was--if it ever will. Now
there's this whole debate about whether corporate-controlled, profit-driven
media will ever again be truly effective, or if this new world of "citizen
journalists" (bloggers and the like) is the new future of journalism...

From: Bosco Bosco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
What's amazing about this is not Hoover's desire to suspend habeas
corpus is news. The man was a backwards facist and represents all the
things foul that draw this country down from the moral high ground.

What's amazing is that habeas corpus has been suspended and no one
really cares. It wasn't even news worthy. So much for the theory of a
"liberally biased" media.

Bosco
--- "Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. Minor)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/washington/23habeas.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

> A newly declassified document shows that J. Edgar Hoover, the
> longtime
> director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, had a plan to
> suspend
> habeas corpus and imprison some 12,000 Americans he suspected of
> disloyalty.
>
> Hoover sent his plan to the White House on July 7, 1950, 12 days
> after
> the Korean War began. It envisioned putting suspect Americans in
> military prisons.
>
> Hoover wanted President Harry S. Truman to proclaim the mass
> arrests
> necessary to “protect the country against treason, espionage and
> sabotage.” The F.B.I would “apprehend all individuals
> potentially
> dangerous” to national security, Hoover’s proposal said. The
> arrests
> would be carried out under “a master warrant attached to a list
> of
> names” provided by the bureau.
>
> The names were part of an index that Hoover had been compiling for
> years. “The index now contains approximately twelve thousand
> individuals, of which approximately ninety-seven per cent are
> citizens
> of the United States,” he wrote.
>
> “In order to make effective these apprehensions, the proclamation
>
> suspends the Writ of Habeas Corpus,” it said.
>
> Habeas corpus, the right to seek relief from illegal detention, has
> been
> a fundamental principle of law for seven centuries. The Bush
> administration’s decision to hold suspects for years at
> Guantánamo Bay,
> Cuba, has made habeas corpus a contentious issue for Congress and
> the
> Supreme Court today.
>
> The Constitution says habeas corpus shall not be suspended
> “unless when
> in cases of rebellion or invasion, the public safety may require
> it.”
> The plan proposed by Hoover, the head of the F.B.I. from 1924 to
> 1972,
> stretched that clause to include “threatened invasion” or
> “attack upon
> United States troops in legally occupied territory.”
>
> After the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, President Bush
> issued an
> order that effectively allowed the United States to hold suspects
> indefinitely without a hearing, a lawyer, or formal charges. In
> September 2006, Congress passed a law suspending habeas corpus for
> anyone deemed an “unlawful enemy combatant.”
>
> But the Supreme Court has reaffirmed the right of American citizens
> seek a writ of habeas corpus. This month the court heard arguments
> on
> whether about 300 foreigners held at Guantánamo Bay had the same
> rights.
> It is expected to rule by next summer.
>
> Hoover’s plan was declassified Friday as part of a collection of
> [...]

I got friends who are in prison and Friends who are dead.
I'm gonna tell ya something that I've often said.

You know these things that happen,
That's just the way it's supposed to be.
And I can't help but wonder,
Don't ya know it coulda been me.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional