ever had a Meyers-Briggs analysis done on you? You sound like an introvert,
which is not, as some think, a 'wall flower". Simply means you get a lot of
energy internally, that you like to analyze things. Extroverts simply get more
energy externally, from other people, but doesn't mean they're always running
around with lamp shades on their heads at parties. I'm a strong extrovert:
going to the mall on Black Friday gets me pumped and hyper like a kid. I'm
never bored in an airport 'cause I almost OD on watching people. I do have
difficulty not speaking into silence (you called it talking just to talk). But
by the same token, once my batteries are charged, I have to get away from
people to think and analyze or write. But then I have to be back among the
mading crowd.

I've taken Meyers Briggs tests three times. I'm a strong ENFP:

Extroverted - Getting psychic/mental/emotional/spiritual energy from others
instead of internally (as opposed to Introverted, getting energy from within)
Intuitive - making lots of leaps in thought and creativity based on the gut or
inspiration (as opposed to Sensers, who need hard facts to fuel the process)
Feeling - ruled by emotions and passions, going with what feels right (as
opposed to Thinkers, who analyze things and tend to rely on logic more)
Perceiving - filter the world based on what I feel and how things should be
(right and wrong), wanting to fluidly adjust circumstances to individuals'
needs, strongly ruled by a sense of "right" (as opposed to Judgers, who tend to
be more rigid, less focused on "right" and "wrong" , but on what's "fair" for
all, tending to want a set of rules that apply as well as possible to the
masses, with little emotion to change them. not prone to want to change laws or
rules willy-nilly)

so of course, being fueled by emotions and passions and feelings, and a cosmic
sense of right and wrong, I majored in electrical engineering in college and
now work as a network administrator.  According to all tests (and my feelings)
i should have been a writer, journalist, musician, public relations person--or
a minister.

Which is why I wrtie more posts than anyone except maybe Martin, why I'm long
winded, why I'm always ranting about something being "wrong" in the universe.
:)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Wife and I are strikingly different. She is a heavy extrovert and
prone to being the life of a party. Her skills as a former model,
multiple pageant winner, on-air personality (radio), television host, etc.
make it seem effortless. She turns it "on" like flicking a switch at
parties and public events.

I prefer to be behind the scenes a bit more. In the office, I have to
make an effort to self-promote as my natural tendency is to let my work
speak for itself while I get trampled by those who underperform, yet have
mastered the art of self-promotion (I believe Keith posted similar
sentiments a few months ago). Through my websites and as a media contact
for Veterans for Common Sense, I've done several TV and radio appearances
and a lot of print media interviews, but only reluctantly. I've turned
down more than I've accepted. I much prefer to let my written words speak
for me via my writings. Over the next few years, I'll be putting out a
book related to some of advocacy work, which will require active PR and
appearances. (sigh)

At social events, while The Wife is "on" and entertaining, I prefer to
relax in a quiet corner, nursing my drink with a friend or two. I'm the
guy you think is not having fun, but I'm really analyzing the guests and
storing data about who I've met or talked with that night. At home, I
need that quiet time with a book or my laptop. Or at a coffee shop for a
bit on the way home from work. My blog and commentary persona are nothing
like my meatspace personality.

I'm not shy. I just prefer to observe and think. I hate small talk and
refuse to speak just for the sake of speaking. When I do speak, it is
because I have something real to add to the conversation. I abhor hoopla
and I suck at entertaining.

I'm not the guy screaming his head off at sporting events or concerts. If
you see me at a concert, it'll likely be a more intimate club like the
Birchmere - listening to a band, sipping a margarita - just enjoying the
music.

And I hate being asked if "something is wrong."

James Landrith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cell: 703-593-2065 * fax: 760-875-8547
AIM: jlnales * ICQ: 148600159