much appreciated!

From: Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(standing ovation)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: People will read this and say "Good! He didnt' have a
chance anyway". And that is a loss for all of us.

The more I see political campaigns,the more I'm reminded of the creatures of
Oz: the Tin Man, the Lion,the Scarecrow. Each *thought* he lacked something,
until the Wiz showed them that what you lack is only what you *think* you lack.
Believe you have it, and you have it. Give a man a diploma and suddenly he's an
educated man. (Bush has a degree, remember). In the same token, to a large
extent I believe we Americans support who we're *supposed* to support. A
candidate is or isn't viable because we're told to believe a candidate is or
isn't viable. I like Barak. I really do. But from Day One I've sometimes
puzzled over why he had to be the new deal, the One who could break the color
barrier.A large part of this--the majority, Ill say--is because he's a good,
passionate speaker who connects with people. Cant deny that. But I also believe
a lot of his success is because he was focused on so early that people had no
choice but to look at him.

It's a tricky dance between us and the media, a chicken-or-egg thing where one
cant always tell if we create the news we get, or crave the news that's created
for us. From early last year, I have been ranting about why no one was paying
attention to Edwards or Kucinich. I've been told all kinds of things: they
don't look as presidential, their messages don't resonate or are too focused on
one narrow thing, they just don't have a chance. He saw a UFO. Yet look at
Kucinich's beliefs, his voting record, his speeches. Listen to his interviews
with Tim Russert and Charlie Rose. You'll hear a man who's been more frank,
more detailed, more crusading in the areas we say matter to us than
anyone--including Obama. In many ways, the same is true of Edwards, who, when
he declared for president in New Orleans, was all but ignored by the media at
large.

If you just wrote down what each candidate has actually said, actually
outlined, actually commited to doing, then put those statements in a box
without their names attached, I wonder if Obama or Hillary's policies when
pulled would be the ones associated with "front runners"? Don't know, but i
have sneaking suspicion the American public can only focus on a few sound
bites, a few ads, a few pundits' recommendations at a time. Hell, I'm still
trying to figure out why Dean went from frontrunner to also-ran, largely
because of a goofy scream? Yet the day after that, it was all over the news
that his behaviour showed he wasn't "presidential" and jsut like that the
micro-second-by-second polls showed his popularity dropping like a rock in
water. Something wrong with that, something wrong with this.

Not sure what a better way would be. But I do know this system--or our
apathy--that labels a man or woman unelectible before their message even gets
out there is seriously flawed. Or maybe Americans just need to get off our damn
a$$es and actually start doing some *research* on our own!

All I know is next week no one will even remember Kucinich.

And that is a loss for all of us.

*******************

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Rep. Dennis Kucinich will announce he is abandoning his long
shot bid for the White House in a news conference Friday, his campaign confirms
to CNN.
In an interview with the Cleveland Plain-Dealer earlier Thursday, the Ohio
Democrat said he plans on “transitioning out of the Democratic Presidential
primary race" to focus on a "new direction."
His spokesman tells CNN the former presidential candidate is now gearing up for
his congressional re-election campaign. Kucinich faces four candidates in a
Democratic primary for his seat on March 4, and has faced criticism for
devoting much of his attention to running for president.
In his interview with the Plain-Dealer, Kucinich said he will give a much
lengthier statement Friday.
This was Kucinich's second bid for the White House — he first ran in 2004. The
latest CNN Poll showed him drawing 3 percent of support among registered
Democrats nationally.

"There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
Country"

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: