thanks, I will check this out

From: "Meta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Here is a link to the site of William Loren Katz. He is the author of
a book called, 'Black Indians: A Hidden Heritage'. I read this book
about twenty years ago.

http://www.williamlkatz.com/

The book is still available at Amazon.

Meta

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I wonder how many Natives owned slaves? I used to think they there
was this--brotherhood--between Blacks and Natives, as we fought
against a common enemy. So many of us have Native blood, after all.
And there's so many stories of mixed blood people who became great
explorers, lawmen, or soldiers. But i hear more about them enslaving
us, and read bout things like the recent push for some tribes to deny
people with African heritige membership in the tribe. Makes me wonder...

> What's the deal with Gates' website?

> From: Daryle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> The Don Cheadle story was really interesting. I live in a county just
> outside of Charlotte that was Indian Land for a very very long time
after
> slavery. I am now curious as to whether or not the tribes that lived
here
> owned slaves.
>
> This series is great family viewing, and even though it's on in
February,
> it's refreshing. I also think it could be a great way to drive
traffic to
> Dr. Gates' new website, but I didn't see a mention of it during the
show.

> On 2/6/08 10:59 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Tonight I watched „African American Lives 2‰, the PBS special
in which Henry
> > „Skip‰ Gates does genealogical history for several stars.
Gotta admit, I was
> > a little doubtful about the show this time around. Not the
concept, which is
> > cool. I was thinking that watching the lives of the rich and
famous would
> > leave me a bit cold. "Give this chance to more of us regular folk,
I thought.
> > The rich folk have enough money to get this done on their own".
But I have to
> > say it moved me. Putting aside their celebrity and just seeing
them as Black
> > people like me˜with hopes and dreams and sad and glorious stories
in their
> > pasts˜I was really able to get into it. Skip Gates digs up some
amazing
> > history on the ancestry of these stars (and one „regular‰
person chosen for
> > the show). The people are often moved to tears as they find out about
> > ancestors who were state senators, donated land for schools to be
built, were
> > owned by Natives, fought in the Civil War, etc. The biggest shock
of all is
> > Tom Joyne
> > r, who discovers that two of his uncles were electrocuted in South
Carolina
> > for a crime they didn‚t commit, along with three other
Blacks--all in the same

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/aalives/?campaign=pbshomefeatures_2_africanamericanliv
> > es2_2008-02-06
> >
> > http://www.pbs.org/wnet/aalives/about.html
> >

> > ABOUT AFRICAN AMERICAN LIVES 2
> >
> > Series Overview
> > Building on the widespread acclaim of African American Lives
(2006) and
> > Oprah's Roots (2007), AFRICAN AMERICAN LIVES 2 again journeys deep
into
> > ancestry of an all-new group of remarkable individuals, offering
an in-depth
> > look at the African-American experience and race relations
throughout U.S.
> > history. Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr. returns as
series host,
> > guiding genealogical investigations down through the 20th century,
> > Reconstruction, slavery and early U.S. history, and presenting
cutting-edge
> > genetic analysis that locates participants' ancestors in Africa,
Europe and
> > America. Joining Professor Gates in the new broadcast are poet
Maya Angelou,
> > author Bliss Broyard, actor Don Cheadle, actor Morgan Freeman,
theologian
> > Peter Gomes, publisher Linda Johnson Rice, athlete Jackie
Joyner-Kersee, radio
> > personality Tom Joyner, comedian Chris Rock, music legend Tina
Turner, and
> > college administrator Kathleen Henderson, who was selected from
more than
> > 2,000 applicants to have her
> > family history researched and DNA tested alongside the series'
well-known
> > guests.

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: