never been a GTA fan, but "Burnout" is a strong enticement for a PS3

From: "B. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I have a HDTV in our family room and I had no plans to replace any of
our other electronics this year but things have a strange way of
happening. A friend of ours had a set that died on her so we decided
to give her our bedroom tv. So now I'm shopping for a flat panel and I
plan to get a PS3 after the new GTA is released.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> i keep thinking about it. Prices are coming down on Blu-Ray, though
actually a PS3 is actually about the best deal for a Blu-Ray player.
Keep struggling with that, too, but i'm such a casual gamer i can't
currently justify putting out the dough for a PS3. I'm still happy
with my SNES, Genesis and PS2. I tend to think when I get my 50"
plasma screen TV I'll get a Blu-Ray player, and Lord knows that won't
be anytime soon!

> From: "Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. Minor)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > unless something dramatic happens, I'm fine with the regular DVD
> > player. Blue Ray is extremely expensive. I'm definitely not going to
> > be an early adopter on this one
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > do you own or plan to buy either an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player? A
lot of people
> > are unmoved like you because they aren't rushing to by either.
They're quite
> > happy with standard DVD (not everyone has a hi-def TV so they
can't see the
> > quality anyway) or using HD cable broadcasts and pay-per-view.
Outside of people
> > with PS3s (whcih have Blu-Ray built in) I hear a lot of folks are
just waiting
> > for their current DVD player to break before buying something
else. And even
> > then, you can buy a standard def dVD player for a song. Lots of
people, too, are
> > just going to skip this whole phase and wait for expanded hi-def
video-on-demand
> > and the advent of true streaming of movies and programs across the
Net.

> > > From: Martin
> > > Doesn't move me in the least.
> > >
> > > Even *if* HD DVD had remained viable, I wouldn't put Dime First
toward it
> > until the day when I went looking for a movie I absolutely *had*
to have, and it
> > was *only* on one of those formats.
> > >
> > > "Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. Minor)"
> > wrote: Toshiba to drop HD DVD, sources say
> > > Company says no decision has been made
> > > By Thomas K. Arnold and Erik Gruenwedel
> > >
> > > Feb 15, 2008
> > > The format war has turned into a format death watch.
> > >
> > > Toshiba is widely expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD format
> > > sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources say,
after a
> > > rash of retail defections that followed Warner Home Video's
announcement
> > > in early January that it would support only the rival Blu-ray Disc
> > > format after May.
> > >
> > > Officially, no decision has been made, insists Jodi Sally, vp of
> > > marketing for Toshiba America Consumer Products. "Based on its
> > > technological advancements, we continue to believe HD DVD is the
best
> > > format for consumers, given the value and consistent quality
inherent in
> > > our player offerings," she said.
> > >
> > > But she hinted that something's in the air. "Given the market
> > > developments in the past month," she said, "Toshiba will
continue to
> > > study the market impact and the value proposition for consumers,
> > > particularly in light of our recent price reductions on all HD
DVD players."

> > > Immediately after the Warner announcement, the HD DVD North
American
> > > Promotional Group canceled its Consumer Electronics Show
presentation.
> > > The following week, data collected by the NPD Group revealed
Blu-ray
> > > took in 93% of all hardware sales for that week.
> > >
> > > Toshiba subsequently fired back, drastically cutting its HD DVD
player
> > > prices by as much as half, effective Jan. 15. But a hoped-for
consumer
> > > sales surge never materialized; retail point-of-sale data
collected by
> > > the NPD Group for the week ending Jan. 26 still showed Blu-ray Disc
> > > players ahead by a wide margin, 65% to 28%.
> > >
> > > Software sales have declined as well. The latest Nielsen
VideoScan First
> > > Alert sales data show the top-selling Blu-ray Disc title for the
week,
> > > Sony Pictures Home Entertainment's "Across the Universe," sold
more than
> > > three times as many copies the week ending Feb. 10 as the top HD
DVD
> > > seller, Universal Studios Home Entertainment's "Elizabeth: The
Golden
> > > Age." Blu-ray Disc titles also accounted for 81% of all high-def
disc
> > > sales for the week, with HD DVD at just 19%.
> > >
> > > Toshiba had been pitching its discounted HD DVD players toward the
> > > standard DVD crowd as well as high-def enthusiasts, noting in
its ad
> > > message that the new players would make DVDs look a lot better
as well.
> > > And as a last-ditch effort, the company ran an ad during the
Super Bowl
> > > -- a 30-second spot that reportedly cost $2.7 million.
> > >
> > > But in the end, sources say, the substantial loss Toshiba is
incurring
> > > with each HD DVD player sold -- a figure sources say could be as
high as
> > > several hundred dollars -- coupled with a series of high-profile
retail
> > > defections has driven the company to at last concede defeat.
> > >
> > > "An announcement is coming soon," said one source close to the
HD DVD
> > > camp. "It could be a matter of weeks."
> > >
> > > Microsoft is the other big player in the HD DVD equation. Last
fall when
> > > Paramount Home Entertainment announced it was dropping its
dual-format
> > > strategy and would release titles only in HD DVD, giving that
side a
> > > brief resurgence, a pitch to journalists for interviews came from a
> > > Microsoft email address.
> > >
> > > Several phone calls to Kevin Collins, Microsoft's normally
accessible
> > > "HD DVD evangelist," were not returned. Nor were calls to Ken
Graffeo,
> > > the Universal Studios Home Entertainment executive who doubles as
> > > co-president of the HD DVD North American Promotional Group.
> > >
> > > When Warner abandoned HD DVD in January, the format was left
with just
> > > two of the six major studios backing it, Universal Studios Home
> > > Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment. Blu-ray support
among
> > > independents is rising. ADV Films, Tai Seng Entertainment, Topics
> > > Entertainment and National Geographic have all confirmed they
are going
> > > Blu-ray exclusive, while more than one indie that was releasing
titles
> > > just on HD DVD, including Surround Records and Opus Arte, will
now offer
> > > Blu-ray as well.
> > >
> > > This week, two key retailers, Best Buy and Netflix Inc., both
got off
> > > the fence and threw their support behind Blu-ray exclusively,
citing
> > > widespread studio support and consumer preference. Both
companies said
> > > Warner's decision was a turning point in their strategies.
> > >
> > > "We've listened to our customers, and we are responding," said
Best Buy
> > > president and COO Brian Dunn.
> > >
> > > Netflix spokesperson Steve Swasey said it appeared the format
war had
> > > been won by Blu-ray for the benefit of everyone.
> > >
> > > "We wanted to put an exclamation point behind that," he said.
> > >
> > > Industry observers are closely watching Amazon, but there's been no
> > > movement, other than a 50% off sale for 150 HD DVD titles,
including
> > > "Transformers," "Zodiac" and "Stardust."
> > >
> > > Blockbuster Inc. last summer already decided to offer only
Blu-ray Disc

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ib77125d96b22e86027d0

> > bfb0c25aa58d
> > >
> > > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > >
> > > "There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels
will get
> > organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man
Without A