By ED LEFT
Source: SyFy Portal
Feb-18-2008

The Writers Guild of America strike has ended, and the networks are
making their plans for the remainder of the season and beyond. And
because of the strike, we didn't have a normal pilot season.

Instead, the networks started ordering series directly instead of
ordering a pilot, or even ordered foreign series.

Here's a look at the new series coming to your screens in the next
twelve months or so.

"Dollhouse" will air on Fox, was created and produced by Joss Whedon,
and stars Eliza Dushku. It's about men and women imprinted with
different personalities and skills for different assignments, and then
having those personalities wiped clean when the assignment is completed.

When between assignments, they live like children in the Dollhouse,
their dormitory/laboratory. They live with no memories of which they
are, until Echo, played by Dushku, begins to remember.

I like the concept behind this show. If it was airing on a cable
network, I think we'd have a winner. However, it will be airing on Fox.

Joss Whedon is a genre fan favorite, but let's face it, he hasn't really
had a hit show. Although "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" had long
runs, they ran on minor netlets. Neither show would have lasted on a
major network. "Firefly" did air on a major network, and it was a
ratings failure.

Dushku previously starred in genre series "Tru Calling," and it also
failed in the ratings. Combining Whedon, Dushku and Fox does not spell
success. I think we'll only see the seven episodes contracted, if that.

"Fear Itself," a horror anthology from NBC, promises be much like
Showtime's "Masters of Horror," providing 60-minute telefilms by name
horror writers and directors. Anthologies don't work on network
television anymore. This one is doomed before it starts.

"The Listener" is being produced by CTV in Canada, and has been bought
by NBC to air this coming summer/fall. Paramedic Toby Logan, played by
Craig Olejnik, has "the power to listen to people's most intimate thoughts."

With the help of his friend and partner Osman Bey (Ennis Esmer), they
save lives and solve mysteries. Borrowing from "Heroes," they take the
most lame of abilities and build a show around it. It could work, but it
would depend on the strength of the writing and the acting.

  I don't hold out much hope.

"Middleman" from writer-producer Javier Grillo-Marxuach of "Lost" fame,
stars Natalie Morales as a struggling artist recruited by an agency to
fight comic-book style villains. Matt Keeslay co-stars as Middleman, her
superhero guide and mentor.

It's on ABC Family, so expect it to be pointed at the family crowd, and
it will probably have a "Kyle XY" look and feel. It seems on ABC Family,
cast and chemistry is the most important aspect. If they're likeable,
the show will probably stick around.

"Sanctuary," the Web series picked up by the SciFi Channel, stars Amanda
Tapping as Dr. Helen Magnus. Magnus runs the Sanctuary, which is a home
to various creatures of myth and legend, who must be tracked down and
protected. Dr. Will Zimmerman, played by Robin Dunne assists her in her
quest.

It's cheap to produce, and airs on SciFi. It's a match made in heaven.
It also has "Stargate SG-1" connections, which will bring in a
ready-made audience. This show could have legs.

"Section 8" has been picked up by ABC for a six-episode order. The
premise is a group of everyday people with "advanced neurological
abnormalities" who work for a secret government agency. This sounds like
a very thinly veiled "Heroes" homage. Or maybe it's more like "Misfits
of Science"? We'll find out.

"True Blood" is brought to us by HBO, and is based on the Southern
Vampire book series by Charlaine Harris. It features Sookie Stackhouse,
played by Anna Paquin, a mind reading barmaid in Louisiana who falls in
love with vampire Bill Compton, played by Stephen Moyer.

Vampires are no longer a secret, and can feed on a synthetic blood
developed by the Japanese. It's HBO, so you know they will be spending
some money on it. But I wonder if vampire fans will tune into another
vampire series so soon after the demise of "Blood Ties" and the fate of
"Moonlight" still up in the air.

Getting Anna Paquin to star was a good move, and it guarantees I will
check out the pilot, at least.

"Wizard's First Rule" is a new first-run syndication series set to air
this fall. Produced by Spider-Man director Sam Raimi, this series is
based on the "Sword of Truth" book series by Terry Goodkind, and
"follows the extraordinary transformation of woodsman Richard Cypher
into a magical leader who joins with a mysterious woman to stop a
blood-thirsty tyrant."

  It has guaranteed coverage on the Tribune stations, so it will air in
the major U.S. markets. Straight fantasy has never done well on the
tube, but campy fantasy has. It remains to be seen which this will be.

So there we have it, the new genre series coming to our TV in the next
12 or so months. This doesn't include any of the current shows
returning, or any additional series ordered from pilots. There were a
few pilots ordered before the strike, and more are going into production
as we speak. Next time out, I'll go over the pilot projects in the works.

If you'd like to chat about this column, you can join our message board
discussions by clicking here.

Ed Left is a columnist for SyFy Portal, who was kind enough to take his
mittens off long enough to type this article. He also is the Webmaster
of Sci-Fi On TV. He can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.syfyportal.com/pagetogether.php?id=4731&page=3

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: