>From the Wikipedia. I am big fan of the show and I can verify that
the entry here is accurate.

Genesis

Whedon developed the concept for the show after reading The Killer
Angels, a novel chronicling the Battle of Gettysburg during the
American Civil War. He wished to follow people who had fought on the
losing side of a war and their experiences afterwards as pioneers and
immigrants on the outskirts of civilization, much like the
post-American Civil War era of Reconstruction and the American Old
West culture.[6] It was intended to be "a Stagecoach kind of drama
with a lot of people trying to figure out their lives in a bleak and
pioneer environment."[7] Whedon wanted to develop a show about the
tactile nature of life, a show where existence was more physical and
more difficult.[8] After reading The Killer Angels, Whedon read a
book about Jewish partisan fighters in World War II that also
influenced him.[6] Whedon wished to create something for television
that was more character-driven and gritty than modern science
fiction. Television science fiction, he felt, had become too pristine
and rarefied.[9]

Whedon wished to give the show a name that indicated movement and
power, and felt that "firefly" had both. This powerful word's
relatively insignificant meaning, Whedon felt, added to its allure.
He eventually wound up creating the ship in the image of a
firefly.[8]

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I know that. However I know that Firefly was loosely based on some
> kind of
> story. I don't believe it was an original idea.
>

> **************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL
> Living.

> 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

Looking for last minute shopping deals?