By MICHAEL HINMAN
Source: SyFy Portal
Apr-02-2008

Before every episode, watchers of "Battlestar Galactica" are told the
Cylons have a plan, a plan which has been sliced up and given to its
audience in small doses.

While the Cylons are planning, the writers behind "Battlestar
Galactica" are sometimes playing it by ear, allowing the natural flow
of storytelling to help lay out the path that will bring the show to
its highly anticipated series finale.

"The truth is, nothing's nailed down until the final episode is
written, shot and edited," David Weddle, supervising producer of
"Battlestar Galactica" and one of the writers of Friday's Season 4
premiere told SyFy Portal's Michael Hinman. "Everything is always in
flux and anything could still happen. That's what makes it such an
exciting show to write and to watch."

That doesn't mean there won't be continuity, because the writing team
that includes Weddle and partner in crime Bradley Thompson have been
utilizing the technique of retroactive continuity, or as fans like to
call it, the retcon. Finding a retcon isn't easy because viewers
typically don't know what was planned out ahead of time, and what was
simply picked up from previous episodes to run with.

Many fans had questioned whether or not the mysterious painting found
on the wall of Starbuck's apartment in the second season episode of
"Valley of Darkness" that was featured in later episodes was part of
the plan all along, or a retcon.

Fans now have their answer.

"The mandala that Kara painted since she was a child and that later
showed up in the clouds to lure her to her 'death' was something Brad
and I went back and discovered when we were writing 'Rapture,'" Weddle
said. Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore "wanter her to see something
on the Temple of Five on the algae planet that would relate to a
larger destiny, something that no one else would recognize. We went
back and screened the scenes from 'Valley of Darkness' and noticed the
mandala that she had painted on her apartment wall. That gave us the
idea to put it on the temple and to build it into her backstory in
'Maelstrom.'"

None of the story surrounding the mandala was planned out ahead of
time, Weddle said. In spite of that, they were able to develop a
strong story, and find ways to link different aspects of the series
together, and the same will happen with "Maelstrom," and how that will
affect Starbuck's final journey in the fourth season.

'Maelstrom' is permeated with clues that will have unexpected payoffs
in future episodes, as are all of the other episodes," Weddle said.
"Sometimes even the writers don't know which details will turn out to
be critical clues because of the organic way in which the show is
written. This is because we build on what we've already written,
rather than map out every little detail ahead of time."

The genesis of the "Maelstrom" actually came from executive producer
David Eick, who had pitched an idea about Apollo and Starbuck having
to fight a Viper dogfight in the dark, and at the bleakest moment when
they both thought they were going to die, they learned something about
each other that changed their relationship.

"When the room went to break the show, we began to wonder whether that
was really the story we wanted to tell," Thompson said. "David Weddle
remembered something Katee [Sackhoff] had said she wanted to do -- pay
off the clues about the relationship she had with her mother. So with
that as a starting point, the room went back at the story to go to the
dogfight and Kara going down."

But it wouldn't end there. That's when Moore offered an idea that
would eventually get fandom up in arms, and created one of the more
memorable moments of Season 3.

"I believe it was Ron who said, 'The whole audience is sure Lee will
pull her out at the last minute. We should kill her,'" Thompson said.
"Thus it was spoken, thus it became. And once it was, we pondered the
wondrous door that had opened. And a man appeared on a flaming pie and
said, 'Henceforth, you are Battlestar with an A.'"

The overall story may have moved to a stronger focus on Starbuck, but
just as she states in the series, her fate has already been laid out
by the writers and producers.

"Ron Moore had some very strong ideas about Starbuck and the ultimate
role she would play in the broad canvas of the series, and that
figured very strongly in the writing of 'Maelstrom,'" Weddle said.
"But the specifics of Starbuck's journey and how it would play out in
Season 4 were not nailed down until we had our writer's retreat in
Lake Tahoe to map out Season 4. And there are still many details that
have not been fleshed out."

As "Battlestar Galactica" prepares its spot in the annals of
television history, a lot of question has surfaced on how the show
will be remembered. Will it be known as the show that carried only the
name of a 1970s show? Will it be considered the innovator on a new way
to approach science-fiction? Or will it simply be a television show?

Both Weddle and Thompson worked on another series that laid a lot of
the groundwork for what is found in character-driven science-fiction
created today -- "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" -- and "Battlestar
Galactica" owes a lot to it.

 "I think 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' will be seen as a
ground-breaking series that made 'Battlestar Galactica' possible,"
Weddle said. "Ira Behr saw how 'Deep Space Nine' could be an
unfolding, epic story. He kicked open a door for all of us and gave us
a glimpse of what was possible. Ron Moore embraced this concept [and]
applied it brilliantly in 'Battlestar Galactica.'"

Fans of the future could easily look at BSG and DS9 like how fans of
westerns of John Ford and Sam Peckinpah are viewed today, Weddle said.

"Ford laid the groundwork, showed how much was possible within the
framework of the western genre, and how it could be elevated from
common melodrama to a genuine American art form," he said. "Peckinpah
learned from that then applied his own vision and themes to the genre,
often playing upon or creating variations on the set pieces and themes
that Ford established.

"Peckinpah's work would not be possible without Ford's. I think you
can look at Ira Behr's 'Deep Space Nine' and Ron Moore's 'Battlestar
Galactica' in the same way. The difference being, Ron worked on both
shows, learned directly from Ira, and was a major creative force on
'Deep Space Nine' as well."

People who watch Moore's DS9 episodes will see many of the themes that
have developed in "Battlestar Galactica."

"It's a rare chance to watch a great talent grow and develop before
your eyes."

Of course, no one can get an audience with both Weddle and Thompson
without asking what fans can expect from Season 4, which premieres
Friday at 10 p.m. ET on SciFi Channel -- an episode written by the duo.

 So spill it. Is Earth at the end of this journey or not?

Of course, that's not the question fans should be asking.

"Will it be the Earth of the present, the future, the past? I'm glad
you asked that question," Weddle said. "The answer is ... wait a
minute, I'm not allowed to tell you that. That was close!"

Weddle does have some advice, however: Keep a very close eye on those
Final Four Cylons.

"Are they instruments of the human race's redemption, or its
destruction?" he said. "And Kara Thrace. Is she alive? Dead? A ghost?
A Cylon? An angel of the Apocalypse? And who's that fifth Cylon?"

The answers won't come from Weddle here, however. That's because
they've already been answered ... fans just don't realize it.

"You already know the answer to these questions. It's all right
there," he said. "Just examine every episode closely and the truth
will emerge. Or break out a magnifying glass and go over that Last
Supper photo one more time. Ron Moore laid it all out for you.

http://www.syfyportal.com/news424887.html