Knight Shifts Batman Genre

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=57090

Christopher Nolan, director of the Batman sequel film The Dark Knight, told
reporters that his ambition was to make the franchise bigger and smaller at
the same time by shifting genres from superhero-origin story to urban crime
drama.

"There's a huge advantage being able to jump in having told the origin
story, so you can jump in with a fully formed character and then see where
that goes," Nolan said in a group interview in Beverly Hills, Calif., over
the weekend. "So I think it definitely gives you the opportunity to go new
places and to get into the story much faster."

In The Dark Knight, Gotham City has seen crime lowered by the presence of
Batman (Christian Bale), who is working with police detective Jim Gordon
(Gary Oldman), and a new crusading district attorney, Harvey Dent (Aaron
Eckhart), has been elected. But a sinister new villain, the Joker (the late
Heath Ledger), appears, casting doubt on the moral choices made by all and
challenging Bruce Wayne to confront his darkest impulses.

"I had very much enjoyed the rhythm and dynamic of the origin story that we
got to tell in Batman Begins, so it was a little bit daunting how we were
going to replace that, the feeling of scale and size that gave us, just the
timespan of that story," Nolan said. "And so what we chose to do is to tell
a very immediate, very linear story, but based on a slight genre shift,
going a little more into the crime story, a little more into the kind of
epic city stories of films like Michael Mann's Heat, things like that, which
I think achieve great scale even though they're confined within one city."

In his own interview, Bale said that viewers will find themselves immersed
in a Gotham City that feels authentic. "We see an even more
realistic-appearing Gotham, the characters, and I think he's really nailed
it with his ability to take a certain genre of movie but not have it be
constricted by that genre, you know?" Bale said. "And [he] truly has made a
superb story, and finely crafted movie, that I think stands up against any
movie regardless of genre."

The murky morality of The Dark Knight is particularly relevant now, Bale
added. "Clearly that's very relevant to America: the question of what kind
of deals do you do with the devil in order to solve a problem quickest," he
said. "But are you then setting yourself up for future problems and more
dire circumstances and consequences?" The Dark Knight opens July 18. --
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Patrick Lee, News Editor
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/images/spacer.gif