I did not see much of Tru Calling in its first run, but with Scifi Channel
showing periodic marathons, I've seen almost every episode and I have become
a fan.  Today they showed episodes all day and I found myself wishing I knew
where they were headed and I got lucky by finding a blog post from one of
the writers.  Since I remember a few Tru Calling fans on the list, I decided
to post her explanation.

What do you think?

Tru Calling staff writer Doris Egan has revealed details of how the show's
long term story arc and mythology would have played out had the series not
been cancelled!!! And it worths read it, I can sure you...

Saturday, April 30, 2005 - For Tru Calling fans

Yes, there were more than three episodes, and the last one aired pretty much
leaves you wondering what's going on in the storyline. That's just the
danger of television; a novel ends where it's supposed to end, but TV is a
collective endeavor whose product depends on a thousand different judgments
about business and programming. I'm sure that's no shock to you.

Ordinarily I wouldn't talk about where the arc was going, but then,
ordinarily there's another half-season where you'd get to watch that arc
play out. I know some people got really involved in the second season and
you feel you were left hanging. So, for you:

I'm going to be talking about "spoilers," if they can be called that when a
show is over.

First, I joined TC late in the first season, when the idea of Jack had
already been introduced. I thought, "Good timing. I'm joining when the fun
part starts!" We dived right into my episode, "Two Pair." By the end of
that, it was clear to the audience that Tru had an opponent, someone who was
working against her to maintain the timeline as it was. The idea was never
that he'd be a villain in the classic sense, but that he had a different
view of what was "good" or "bad" in these circumstances. The rest of the
season expanded the cat-and-mouse game between the two of them.

Here's where I go into some of the mythology you never got to see explained
before the show disappeared. Of course, canon can be boring when it's just
written out, so let's play with this for your amusement. Suppose Tru rushes
to save a woman about to die, only to find Jack in her way.

-------------------------

JACK: You can't keep doing this just because you have the power. It's wrong.

TRU: I'm saving that woman's life! How is that wrong?

JACK: Who the hell are you to decide you can tilt the balance of the
universe? Everything we do has consequences, Tru. Everything. You save one
person, and what happens?

TRU (with her best sarcasm): She lives. I see what a problem that would be.

JACK: It would be, because there's a plan at work here bigger than anyone
can comprehend. This woman lives, and that plan gets thrown off track. She's
home when the next-door neighbor has his heart attack; she drives him to the
hospital. He lives, and goes on to abuse his two children. One of them grows
up to be the next Unabomber. The other marries a man who was originally
destined for someone else, who would have been his partner in discovering a
cure for cancer --

TRU: You can't know all this!

JACK: I know there's a plan, and I know you're destroying it, like a child
who doesn't understand why Mommy won't let her paint on the walls.

-------------------------

One of the aims of season two was to gradually outline the overarching
mythology for the audience. There was a lot of discussion of this at the
beginning of the year. I'm a big proponent of the idea that on any show it
pays to have the mythology straight in the writers' minds, even when they
aren't going to show all their cards to the audience right away. Because the
audience can always tell when you're making it up as you go along, and they
feel taken advantage of. Mind you, there are going to be some refinements
and additions that are indeed made up along the way; and if they work,
that's all you can ask.

I'll start with the big-picture idea here: There are two great Powers in the
universe concerned with humanity's fate. (This particular part of the
mythology I feel I'd better admit was mine -- because while television is a
group effort, and most of the mythology was on the way to being implemented,
I'm not 100 percent certain it would all have been. And should you find this
specific idea incredibly dumb, I don't want anyone else blamed for it.)

World mythology has a lot of ways of presenting fate -- three old women
weaving, that sort of thing. For the moment, interpret "Powers" as you will
-- single forces, groups; religious, non-religious. But since Jack's calling
was clearly to stop Tru, there had to be two warring forces at work here.
(Or one with advanced schizophrenia.)

The first Power long ago laid out the original plan the Earth has been
following for millennia -- to what end, we don't know. (Jack's side would
have you believe that despite pain along the way, this is our best possible
future.) Over time, a rebellious second Power arose that wanted to intervene
and make changes. To "improve" things, whatever the risk of throwing the
great plan off track. (Again, improve by whose definition? This was
something to be gone into over the show's long term.) The rebellious Power
-- and here I suspect I was influenced a bit by Philip Pullman's "revolt
against Heaven" -- was more accepting of individual freedom and choice. So
this is what they do:

When a person dies who is on the crux of some change of Fate, someone who
could influence things more than usual one way or another, this Power. opens
a door, you could say. And they offer that person a choice. You can go
forward, or you can return and finish your life. If you truly want it, ask
for it.

Every time Tru saves someone who asks for help, she steers our race's
destiny a little further from what was originally planned, and a little
closer to what the -- let's say, the editors -- want. It would be
interesting if somewhere along the way we discovered that one of these plans
will end in a barren piece of rock and no human race. But which one?

What we have are two competing Fates, battling for control of humanity.

And now back to the group process.

We would have learned that one of Jack's advantages over Tru is that his
mentor, Tru's father, is alive, and can fill him in on the long line of
knowledge from his predecessors. Tru's mentor should have been her mother,
but she died unexpectedly; the episode I was writing when the show was
cancelled would have taken place during a bank robbery while Tru's father
was consulting his wife's old diary he'd left in the safety deposit. (Nice
touch: Jack doesn't tell him about the robbery when the day repeats --
because Tru's Dad has to be there to choose the hostages who'll be shot,
just as he was forced to at gunpoint on Day One.) Besides dealing with the
main plot, he has to make sure she doesn't read the diary and learn a lot
more than she should. (And Jack has to intervene in the hostage situation to
make sure exactly the same people die on Day Two.)

That's the big picture. And now we come to the specific arc that the
audience was dropped out in the middle of: the consequences of what happens
when Tru uses her gift for her own plan, all fates aside; when she saves a
friend who didn't ask for help.

(To be continued in part two.)

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - Tru Calling, continued

It's been asked how the aims of the two warring Fates are conveyed to the
humans doing their work -- would we have seen these powers, as one did on
Buffy, for instance?

Probably not, or at least, not blatantly. Remember that Buffy was a very
different kind of show, where green-skinned demons could routinely sit
around enjoying very dry martinis and contemplating their Sinatra
collections. I hesitate to use the word "realistic" about a show in which
dead bodies talk to the heroine, but tonally Tru Calling was much closer to
life as we see it daily. Once the tone for a show has been established, it's
hard to break without losing the audience.

That being said, one can massage tone from time to time; and one thing I'd
hoped to do further down the road in the second season was suggest that for
Tru -- perhaps because of her double parentage -- the border between life
and death had worn thin. In some time of great emotional distress, when
she's questioning everything, she might have a dream in which her mother
talks with her directly; or she might sit, exhausted, at a lonely bus stop
and get into a conversation with some stranger that ends up touching on
what's been troubling her. Only later is it implied that the stranger was
dead, and possibly someone with a special interest in her -- perhaps a
friend of her mother's, perhaps someone who had the power before her -- who
knows. It was just a moment I thought might be interesting to get to, partly
because we eventually needed to see Tru question what she's doing.

So if the Fates aren't going to be giving Tru or Jack specific orders, how
do they know what to do? With Tru this question isn't so difficult; even if
you have no special knowledge, if you discover you can save people's lives,
you're probably going to do it. I know I would, and really, it's what every
hero in a "do-over" sort of story does -- look at Gary Hobson of Early
Edition, or Sam Beckett of Quantum Leap. It's all very well for the crew of
the Enterprise to agonize over "changing the past," but they're already far
in the future (from our point of view) and are themselves the direct product
of that past timeline. They can say, "We've got a nice little Federation of
Planets thing going on here; why mess with it?" In Tru's world, you're
changing a future you don't know to another future you don't know; and along
the way you save a life, so why not? It's hard to stand by and let someone
get killed.

What's more problematic is Jack; if he had no special knowledge, why would
he assume that saving lives is a bad thing? The answer is, he does have
special knowledge. Not of the future timeline (at least not specifically);
but he has access to the knowledge his predecessors have passed down since
the first ones got their marching orders. And he had a Near Death Experience
with some special moments.

Remember I suggested that there was a qualitative difference between the
power that laid out humanity's grand plan, and the rebellious power that
wants to change that plan. The former is more authoritarian in the way it
deals with humans, while the latter gives individuals the choice to
cooperate or not. Just as the latter offers selected people the opportunity
to ask for help, it gave Tru her gift as a gift. Jack, on the other hand,
was clinically dead. In his NDE, he came face to face with something he
can't entirely remember -- but he was told that if he were returned to life,
he'd be working for them.

(Which brings us to the question: if Jack was given his life back as payment
for services to be rendered, what happens if he ever decides he doesn't want
to render those services? And yes, that was going to be an exploration for a
later part of the arc.)

Once he revived, he wasn't sure what to make of all this. And then his day
started rewinding -- whenever Tru's did, though he didn't realize this yet.
He ended up in a psych ward. And that's where Tru's father found him. He'd
been waiting for someone like Jack to appear, and mental hospitals were a
prime hunting ground. When someone showed up talking about re-living days,
he knew he'd found his man. So he went to Jack and said, "I know exactly
what you're going through -- " (and he could describe it, exactly) "--and I
know what happened when you were clinically dead. And I know a lot of other
things you'll need to know, so I suggest you listen to me."

Through Tru's father, Jack has access to the knowledge of generations of his
predecessors. Tru's mother should have been her mentor, but she died when
Tru was too young, and anything she'd written down was confiscated by her
husband.

And in answer to another question: No, I don't think that the champions of
both types of Fate routinely married each other. That would be rather giving
the game away.

Oh, and as for the power Tru works for -- the fact that they're more
oriented toward individual freedom may cause you to think their plan is the
one we'd want to have play out. But I wouldn't bet the entire future of the
human race on the fact that they seem polite.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - The teeming masses have spoken

Right. I can see from the several thousand people who have written me about
it, you want to know about the Jensen arc.

Remember the basic mythology: two warring powers of Fate, one of whom offers
selected souls a chance to return and live again. Now, we don't know which
power is the "good" one, if we assume there is a good one; the power behind
Tru clearly doesn't make this offer to everyone who ever dies, or even
everyone who ever died violently. That power has an agenda of its own, to
shape human fate in a certain way, and the threads it pulls are in service
of that. The individuals who are saved have roles to play in their lives
that will send history off in new avenues. All that being said, the power
Tru works for does offer more than its opposing force does; it offers a
choice to those it selects.

Jensen dies. The audience point of view is not privileged to see what
happens to his soul (for lack of a better term) next. But we know he never
"wakes," he never asks Tru for help. Either his soul never had that door
opened for it -- never had the chance to return -- or he refused it. In
which case, his soul's gone on to wherever souls might go.

Tru, however, saves him just the same, when her day rewinds. When Jensen's
dead body lies in front of her she doesn't know the truth, that he's already
gone -- though she may have some suspicions that what she wants to do is
wrong, or dangerous; Davis suggests as much to her. But she's had enough of
losing people. Enough of rearranging her life for some power she can't
understand. She makes her own decision and it's to stay awake as long as it
takes, because if Jensen won't ask for help, someone else eventually will;
and she'll save them both. The hell with Fate.

But Jensen's soul is already committed -- it can't return, but his body,
memories, and the habits of his personality continue after the time he
"died." The idea was that over the course of the arc we would gradually see
anomalies of character develop -- unsettling moments, as the imprint of
Jensen's personality disintegrates, at the same time it becomes fascinated
with death, in an almost wistful way. This would be pretty damned creepy,
coming as it does alongside Tru's growing physical intimacy with him. Jane
Espenson wrote a beautifully disturbing scene that I'm sorry you'll never
get a chance to see -- on one level, it's just Tru and Jensen talking on the
sofa during a movie, and on another level, oooooh.

As the arc plays out, we hear the jarring comments he'll occasionally make,
the way the things that used to mean something to him -- like his need for
his father's respect -- are just no longer vulnerabilities. We see scenes
that suggest a growing involvement with violence, in an unsettling but
ambiguous way, so Tru can't be sure it's there or not. Till one morning Tru
wakes in bed with Jensen and goes about her day, which rewinds over the
murder of Jensen's father. Just before the rewind she learns that not only
did Jensen do it, he's been behind a string of recent killings (born of his
fascination with learning about the thing he's apparently been barred from
-- i.e., death). She rewinds -- and wakes up in bed next to him, knowing now
that he's a monster.

And that she created him. This was once a young man who won her with his
generosity and understanding, his good humor and sweetness. He's still
bright, he's still clever, there's no evidence against him. And he'll be
creating a lot more victims, starting on this rewind day with his father --
unless she takes the responsibility for putting an end to him. So she
finally turns to the person with experience in ending people's lives: Jack.

That's the basic arc; it would have brought you about halfway through the
season. There were plans for the second half, partly based on the fallout
from all this, but as you weren't left hanging in the middle of that arc,
it's not as urgent.

speakerwiggin asked:
So at the point he dies in day one, his soul (for lack of a better term) is
gone.

So when she rewinds...she's not technically going back in time to a point
before he was given that decision, and by saving him, she doesn't take that
choice away from him...but, technically, on the rewind, he's soulless? and
in some strange way things continue to be linear?

Am i digging too much here?

I thought about going into this in the post, but wasn't sure how anal people
wanted to get. I should have known. :)

The short answer is, no, time is not rewinding in the way you're thinking,
or at least time in this instance isn't a mechanical river that unfolds
without input from anyone. It might help to think of what happens as
editing; you're going back over a paragraph and rewriting parts of it, but
the original paragraph is there. (Otherwise, why would Jensen have deja vu?
If you think about it, you'd say, "Wait a minute... Jensen had deja vu, but
he didn't live through this twice, he only lived through it once, so how can
he be remembering things that didn't happen?")

I remember how shocked I was the first time I saw a documentary that talked
about time, space, and motion as inter-related. The thought-example they
gave was, imagine that all motion ceases in the universe. It ceases for
three seconds. For three seconds, no atom, no molecule, of star or ocean or
person moves. For those three seconds, there's no time. And I thought, of
course there's time -- there was three seconds of time! Or... was there, if
there was no one to experience it? But time is independent of experience!
It's an objective thing! ...Isn't it?

Then they started to talk about how, if our universe is simply one in a
series of universes that expand and die and are born again, there's no
reason to think that the laws of physics for the next universe may not be
entirely different. Effect could precede cause, for instance. At that point,
I have to take my purse and go out for a latte.

But to bring it all back to Tru: We do not know the nature of the soul.
Let's say that the soul, like God, transcends time and space and the
pecularities of this particular universe. The soul leaves the universe of
physical law that we know, exits through door, stage right, and enters a
realm of existence utterly unknowable to us.

It is no longer in our space-time. The editors can't stuff it into Jensen's
body, because it's not there. The linear view of that soul, what we as
humans see (like a one-dimensional creature looking at a three-dimensional
object -- ever read Flatland?) -- would show it in existence up to, say,
5:45 on September 4th. At that point, it left linear time, never to return.
The editors can run us all back over that paragraph, right up till 5:45, but
they can't go any further with Jensen. He's an anomaly who should not exist
in space-time as we know it. Tru's father would see him as an abomination.

I will also add, this is the sort of philosophical discussion that could be
peeled back for days. Television, because of its time constraints, is
intolerant of explanations that can't be rendered in less than a sentence or
so. I think there was rightly some hesitance to get into this sort of thing
on the show because it opens a can of worms that would require essays to
discuss.

So at the end of the day, I'd say... go with it. Or not. It's up to you