From: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tracey de Morsella
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:56 AM
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [scifinoir2] Debt Collection Abuse? What Debt Collectors Can
and Cannot Do

On Memorial day weekend, my husband Chris got what we thought was a lawsuit
notice for #2,000 from a law firm representing a credit card company we had
no relationship. After doing some research, we figured out it was a scare
tactic threatening a lawsuit in 20 days if we did not pay. So I investigated
the credit laws in my state and federally and sent them a letter called a
request for validation asking for specific types of documentation including
proof that my husband agreed to buy the debt and that he agreed that the
debt was transferable. A request for validation letter is basically a
request for the creditor to prove you are who you say you are and that I owe
what you say I owe. They are required to respond or they have to remove the
mark off your credit report. So far, no law suit. We are going to contact
the credit reporting agencies and request that the mark is removed from his
credit report.