Why aren't you interested in the movie? Too much time gone by? Not interested
in an extended ep on screen that doesn't really solve any of the mysteries?

From: "ravenadal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I am a diehard "X-files" fan but I haven't seen the first X-files
movie and I had no desire to see the latest one. In fact, instead of
going to see the movie on Sunday, I watched a mini-marathon of X-file
episodes on Sunday morning that included several of my favorite
episodes - like the one ("Home")about the inbred Peacock brothers
featuring black character actor Tucker Smallwood as "Sheriff Andy
Taylor" and the excellent episode ("Humbug") about a trailer park of
retired sideshow freaks starring the late, great Vincent Schiavelli.

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Well, to repeat my "I hate the whole summer blockbuster concept"
rant, part of this is due to X-Files getting lost in the shuffle.
All anyone's really talking about is The Dark Knight, with
sprinklings of family-friendly stuff like Wall-E, Mummy 3, Journey to
the Center of the Earth, etc. Heck, I know lots of folks still
catching Hancock or even Iron Man where it's still being shown. Not
disagreeing that the X-Files itself hasn't lost some steam. It has,
but putting it out at this time of year was madness.
> Also, the studio did a poor job of marketing. I watch enough TV and
follow movies and scifi enough to catch wind of most upcoming events
(except for "Watchmen", which caught me off guard). There was very
little marketing for "X-Files" until a week or two before the movie
premiered, and again, by then everyone was talking about Gotham City.

> **********************
> 'X-Files' fans aren't alienated - now, they can find fantasy
everywhere
> Tuesday, July 29th 2008, 4:00 AM
> X marked the spot - the spot where a "cult following" ended and
reality kicked in.
> "The X-Files: I Want to Believe" opened at No. 4 this past weekend
with a supernaturally low $10.2 million, about half of what box-
office trackers predicted. The truth was certainly out there: Off the
air for six years and a full decade after the first film version, the
buzzless Mulder and Scully had as much heat as an alien corpse at
Area 51.
> Where were all the true believers who made the TV series such a
touchstone? Besides the mundane possibilities (barbecues, Little
League, working overtime to afford gas), there's also this: A cult
following doesn't cut it anymore, because the cult now owns pop
culture.
> From video games to TV to the multipart movies Hollywood is
creating, what was a land of the lost has become the world of
tomorrow. And all of those various media - as well as graphic novels -
have, this summer, cemented their hold on the multiplex. Ten years
ago, when "The X-Files: Fight the Future" was released with an
opening of $30 million, its siblings were really just flop revisits
to "Lost in Space" and "The Avengers." Quality still counts, but no
longer do fans feel like they only get one trip to the fantasy-film
buffet. The table belongs to them, and they're picking up the check
to boot.
> Some things, however, still have to go beyond their core base:
Frank Miller's "The Spirit" (due at Christmas) will need to entice
more than just fans of the Will Eisner comic strip to make it
another "Sin City." And even the rebooted "Star Trek" movie (beaming
in May 8) will have to blast past the same kind of niche appeal that
seems to have sunk "X-Files."
> The huge superhero movies of summer 2008 - especially "The Dark
Knight's" jaw-dropping event status - are, among other things, a
signal that superhero movies are more than just the accepted form for
modern fables. Now they're capable of appealing to most audiences 50
and younger, who don't need to know about graphic novels or be
regular attendees of Comic-Con to get wrapped up in Peter Parker's
troubles or the Joker's villainy.
> If that is the mystery of "X-Files'" fast disappearance, it may
actually be a good sign for "Watchmen," the eagerly anticipated film
of Alan Moore's 1986 graphic novel about an alternate-reality society
overrun with powerless costumed adventurers who are seen as
vigilantes by an oppressive U.S. government.
> "Ten years ago, being a fan of these things meant something. Now
there's plenty of product to indulge in," says Tony Timpone, editor
of the fantasy-sci-fi magazine Fangoria.