The ratings numbers have been the hot topic of debate for the past 4
or 5 years. Show me 9 million people who watch Ghost Whisperer and
I'll show you 7 million people who were on the phone and left their
TVs on  whatever. To be honest, I don't even believe 34 million
people watched Obama's special.

(here he goes again) Now, show me how many people DOWNLOAD, STREAM,
or RECORD episodes of Ghost Whisperer, and you'll have a pretty good
estimate of audience size. This is why TV's dying. When I worked in
the music industry, we used a standard  of measurement called
SoundScan. The way it worked was simple. When someone bought an
album, it was scanned. All of those scan reports were tallied up,
and boom,  we knew who  #1 was. Right? Wrong. Because if I send you
500  copies of "Whosaywhat and the Sound of a Tree Falling" for free,
and ask you to scan it every time someone buys Mariah Carey, guess
who #1 is gonna be that week? And that was MUSIC. Am I saying there
is Neilsen fraud going on? Well, yes, but that's not even the main
point. TV ratings are remarkably flawed, and the evidence of this is
the quality of the shows that are coming back.