SPOILERS FOR THE BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

  In the Book (Wizards First Rule) Richard is made to read and memorize the
book of shadows from a very young age.  His father (Richard Cyper) made him
memorize the book.  Once Richard had the book memorized the book and could
recite it back to his father word for word the book was destroyed.  So
unless they show Richard memorizing the book in a flashback I am not sure
how they will reconcile the books destruction.