Thumbs Race as Japan's Best Sellers Go Cellular

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/world/asia/20japan.html?
pagewanted=2&_r=2

I am often struck by the phenomenon of text messaging - written
communication between people who can neither read nor write - and
their culture of arrogance about it.

A couple of passages from this article struck me:

Indeed, many cellphone novelists had never written fiction before, and
many of their readers had never read novels before, according to
publishers.

and

"They don't read works by professional writers because their sentences
are too difficult to understand, their expressions are intentionally
wordy, and the stories are not familiar to them," she said. "On other
hand, I understand how older Japanese don't want to recognize these as
novels. The paragraphs and the sentences are too simple, the stories
are too predictable. But I'd like cellphone novels to be recognized as
a genre."

~(no)rave!