From: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scifino...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of ravenadal
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2009 9:21 AM
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [scifinoir2] Leverage and the paradigm of the black technology geek

I just saw my first episode of Timothy Hutton's new TNT series
"Leverage."  "Leverage" is what you would get if you artificially
inseminated "Mission:Impossible!" with "Oceans Eleven."  I like it and
have scheduled my DVR to record future episodes but I feel compelled
to mention that the lone black regular character, Alec Hardison (Aldis
Hodge), like IM's Barney Collier (Gregg Morris)and Luther Stickell
(Ving Rhames)- heck, like Hogan Heroe Sgt. James 'Kinch' Kinchloe (the
late great Ivan Dixon), both completes and depletes me.

On one hand, all are self-contained, obviously well educated,
articulate electronics experts. On the other hand, all are given
precious little to do.  While the other, primarily white cast mates
get to cavort about wearing masks and assuming other identities, the
lone black technology geek is tethered to his computers and his
listening devices. More often than not their electronic wizardry saves
the day but they rarely get any of the glory.

In short, our hero gets to witness the pageantry but rarely gets to
participate in it.  While there is plenty of interaction between most
of the white characters, our hero is literally a "black hole" into
which camera light goes but nothing - no personality, no back story,
no nothing - escapes.

And, as such, he is the ultimate "Invisible Man."

~rave!