http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=3250

Television:

Exclusive Interview: 'DOLLHOUSE'S' HARRY LENNIX IS A GUARDIAN WITH A
CONSCIENCE

The co-star plays the troubled protector of Eliza Dushku's Echo on the
Joss Whedon series

By ABBIE BERNSTEIN, Contributing Writer

Published 2/12/2009

Whether you’re into films, television or theatre, chances are good you’ve
seen Harry Lennix. On the big screen, Lennix has been a towering, complex
villain in TITUS, the film adaptation of William Shakespeare’s TITUS
ANDRONICUS, and a glowering hero in the second and third MATRIX films. On
stage, he recently performed in the Kennedy Center production of all ten
of August Wilson’s plays. On television, he’s the President of the U.S. on
LITTLE BRITAIN USA, was a regular on COMMANDER IN CHIEF and had recurring
roles on 24 and ER, to name a few notable credits.

Now Lennix costars on Joss Whedon’s new Fox series DOLLHOUSE (which debuts
tomorrow night at 9:00 p.m. after the midseason debut of TERMINATOR: THE
SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES) as Boyd Langdon, the troubled protector of Eliza
Dushku’s character Echo, one of the few figures in the show visibly
disturbed by the concept of continually wiping Echo’s personality and
replacing it with a new one to fit each assignment.

iF MAGAZINE: Would you describe Boyd as conscience-stricken?

HARRY LENNIX: Yes, that’s a very good way of putting it. I definitely
would.

iF: Is it hard to maintain that demeanor?

LENNIX: No. Not in such a morally dubious place, an ethically [uncertain]
place like the Dollhouse. Having a conscience is the only way to get
through the day working for these people.

iF: Do you know how you came to Joss Whedon’s attention?

LENNIX: I went in and auditioned. The role was not offered to me. I think
I was just submitted like everybody else was. I had just finished a series
of plays at the Kennedy Center, and then the weekend that I came back,
there was this audition, and I was lucky enough to get it. I know that
Joss saw Titus and I think he was a fan of TITUS. I know he’s a big
Shakespearean reader and I think he was very taken with [TITUS director]
Julie Taymor’s vision and quite liked that movie, so maybe that had
something to do with it.

iF: Were you ever primarily a Shakespearean actor?

LENNIX: No. I’m trying to think of anybody who’s primarily a Shakespearean
actor these days. I don’t necessarily think anybody can afford it, unless
you can get a season up at Ashland, Oregon or at the Royal Shakespeare
Company. It is required now that you have multi disciplines when it comes
to your craft, so no. I’ve been going back and forth between theatre and
film and television probably since 1992. I probably do now one or two
plays a year and try to do one or two movies a year.

iF: Were you familiar with Joss Whedon’s work before you became involved
with DOLLHOUSE?

LENNIX: I was familiar with FIREFLY, I was familiar with TOY STORY -- I
had a nephew who loved it. I was a little bit familiar with BUFFY THE
VAMPIRE SLAYER, but not as familiar as some of his ardent fans. I’m not
really a sci-fi person. I didn’t know that he was such a virtual icon. I
had no idea that there was a kind of subculture of people who were
devotees of his work.

iF: Eliza Dushku and Dichen Lachman [who plays another Active, or “doll”]
have both said they’re enjoying getting to play different people every
week. Are you at all envious that your character has only one personality?

LENNIX: No, not at all. I think young actors are always looking for a way
to display their talent, because there’s a lot of it, and that certainly
applies to Eliza and Dichen. But I have more fun, really, and it’s more
cohesive for me to have the stability of a character that you get to
explore in depth, as opposed to range.

iF: Just from the pilot, it looks like your character has a lot of back
story.

LENNIX: Yes.

iF: Are we going to get to see that?

LENNIX: I hope so. I hope that the show has the longevity where we really
get to explore the past of a lot of other characters. I think we’re
establishing who we are as these characters, and then if we have a second
season, we will get to go back into what the past was that led them to
this present.

iF: Do you have any idea what you’d like your character’s back story to be?

LENNIX: I have my own story [laughs]. I wouldn’t want to say it, because
if it turns out in the course of the series that I’m way wrong, then I
don’t want to be [quoted about it].

iF: And if you’re right, they’ll go, "You spoilered!" Do you have a
favorite aspect of Boyd’s character?

LENNIX: The fact that I get to have action scenes is something I’m really
excited about. Before, I never really had a chance to have fights and beat
up people and get beaten up, shoot people, get shot, so it’s really a lot
of fun and it’s a great way to expand an aspect of my career which I
wasn’t aware how much I missed [as in] never experienced, "missed" as in
"felt the absence of." I never expected I was going to really do this.
I’ve been violent characters and I’ve been bad guys and I’ve been good
guys and cops, but to do this on a consistent basis, to actually get to
explore the action of a theme, is a lot of fun.

iF: Boyd seems to have expertise with this.

LENNIX: Right. [On DOLLHOUSE] we have an excellent weapons expert, Michael
Blaze. He is very detailed. I had a chance in other movies to fire guns as
characters and so forth, and [in real life] my brother’s a cop, so I know
a little bit about guns, but to have this kind of expertise, you need to
have a great technical expert. Mike Blaze is terrific.

iF: How is it working with Joss Whedon?

LENNIX: It’s always great to work with the creator of a show, I think,
because they have a fuller vision. He knows what he wants [and he works]
very well with strong females, which is great. Joss has directed two of
the shows and he’s a great talent, so it’s been fun.

iF: Is Tim Minear very involved?

LENNIX: Oh, I love Tim. I worked with Tim on an episode  he hasn’t
directed yet, but when we did the episode that he wrote, he was very much
on-hand and I found him extremely intelligent. I quite enjoyed working
with him as well.

iF: And Eliza Dushku?

LENNIX: Eliza’s terrific. She’s sexy, she’s smart, she’s sassy  I use
alliteration, she’s three Ss [laughs]. So she’s great, she knows what she
wants, she’s been in the business a long time, I’ve enjoyed her very, very
much.

iF: Is there anything else you’d like to say?

LENNIX: I’m hopeful that going forward the Screen Actors Guild and the
AMPTP are able to have it so that we [as actors] can have a career going
forward. Right now, I’m very lucky to have a job. Tough economy, wishing
this country the best, and in the meantime, I’m enjoying doing what I’m
doing.

iF: Are a lot of people starting to come up to you and go, "You’re in
DOLLHOUSE?"

LENNIX: [laughs] Not yet. They may.