The sad thing is comics as a whole are still great. Stuff like The
Walking Dead, The Exterminators, DMZ, Fables, Fear Agent, Godland and
lots of others are still great reads. Unfortunately the quality of
the superhero comics at the big two are suffering and the rest of the
industry takes the hit as well. Don't get me wrong there is still
good stuff being done at the Marvel and DC but it gets crushed under
the rest of the dreck.

I loved the Annilation miniseries and the spinoff books but the
massively inferior Civil War and World War Hulk got all the press. I
think I found a good time to jump ship.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Baxter"
<truthseeker...@...> wrote:

> Jeff, I won't go that far. Though a lot of the stuff out there
falls short of palatability, there are good reads to be had. My last
time through my comic store, I picked up the first two issues of a
Vertigo comic called "Air", a nice mixture of surrealism and modern-
day air piracy. My next time through has me picking up #s 3-6, and
hoping for more.

 Subject : Re: [scifinoir2] Is DC Comics dying?

 Date : Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:19:13 -0500

 From : Jeff Carter <mbsj...@...>

 To : scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com

I agree with you about civil war as well. The big two have given
complete
> control to two or three writers, and they are able to get away with
anything
> they want. Stories are bland and repetitive, each company puts out
a big
> stunt every three months (one more day, death of batman), issues are
> consistently late, and now they are raising the prices. After 27
years of
> reading and collecting comics I do believe that this is my time to
bow out.

> Jeff
>
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Martin Baxter wrote:
>
> > Jeff, I guess that that's a matter of interpretation. IMO, I
could take
> > your statement, substitute "Civil War" for "Final Crisis", and it
would be a
> > valid assessment.
> >

> > ---------[ Received Mail Content ]----------
> >
> > Subject : Re: [scifinoir2] Is DC Comics dying?
> >
> > Date : Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:37:03 -0500
> >
> > From : Jeff Carter
> >
> > To : scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
> >

> > Did anyone read Final Crisis, this is the real reason DC is
dying. They
> > keep putting all their eggs in one writers basket (Morrison) who
takes a
> > dump throws it on the wall calls it art, and if anyone complains
tells them
> > that it's the editors fault.
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Martin Baxter wrote:
> >
> > > Grant Morrison seems to think so.
> > >
> > > They haven't posted the article from Wizard that I read this
afternoon on
> > > the web site, so it falls to me to quote it. When asked about
his work on
> > > "Final Crisis" (the ending in particular, and what he hopes
fans will
> > take
> > > away from the conclusion of the story), he says, "I hope
they''ll take
> > away
> > > a sense of how much they love the DC universe. Because there
are the two
> > > camps... and Marvel is a colossus right now. To me, the DC
Universe dying
> > is
> > > almost how it felt to be at DC. There was just a sense that
Marvel was
> > just
> > > getting bigger and bigger and bigger."
> > >
> > > I don't agree with that at all.
> > >
> > > IMO, Marvel has al but sold out its readers, with cheap and
gimmicky
> > > plotlines that aren't likely to last more than two years before
being
> > > retconned right out of existence, leaving nothing short of a
continuity
> > > mess. DC, on the other hand, is bringing about "Final Crisis",
almost to
> > the
> > > letter as it was destined to happen thirty-odd years ago.
> > >
> > > I put my brain to the task of remembering exactly what books
I'd picked
> > up
> > > in the last six months, and they've been 95% DC, only Fantastic
Four as a