Ha-ha! I like Will Ferrell in small doses. Long after the hype on him had
built, I sat down and watched "Talladega Nights" where he was NASCAR racer
"Ricky Bobby", and laughed my butt off. But that was only the second or third
movie I'd seen him in. I also enjoyed his more subtle turn in "Stranger Than
Fiction", the movie where his life was literally being controlled by an
author's keystrokes. And "Elf" gave me some chuckles as well. I think I saw
"Elf", then "Stranger Than Fiction", then "Talladega Nights", giving me silly
comedy, subtle comedy/drama, then silly comedy again. That was sufficient.

But Ferrell needs to quit doing the same old type comedy film. His turns in the
films about ice skating and basketball, for example, are all variations of the
same Ricky Bobby scheme, so I avoided them. He has the looks and I think the
chops to do other stuff. I don't know if he can carve the niche of understated,
nuanced actor that Bill Murray has found for his career. But I think he might
be able to do at least as well as Adam Sandler, who's actually not half bad
when he backs off the stupid comedies and reigns himself in for roles like that
in "Spanglish", or "50 First Dates". Ferrell has had training, like many
comedians he gets the drama underlying life, and I think he could start
branching out a bit more.

I'm always intrigued at watching comedic actors who get their start or fame in
really silly, over-the-top roles, who can also pull off the more subtle stuff.
Not everyone can do both: Chevy Chase, for example. But actors like Steve
Martin, Sandler, Murray, Robin Williams, Eddie Murphy (he has the ability, just
not the will I guess), Steve Carell all have that talent,and I think Ferrell
does too. He's made the dough, now it's time to stretch...