Well put Bosco.  I could not have said it better.  There were choices that were
made that I did not agree with, but that did not take away from the story.
These were his choices to make and his story to tell.  He told HIS story well.
I remember being in this place with Battlestar and their decision to make
Starbuck a woman and Tigh White.  While I still think that moore has some
issues with Blacks and screwed up the finale,  he told his story well and the
casting decisions proved to good ones.

I think Abrams bristles at some of the hardcore trekkers/trekkies reactions and
sometimes goes out of his way to alienate them in his interviews and some of
the marketing.  I also think that some of that dynamic in going on with his
bizarro relationship with Shatner.  I like Shatner, but he sometimes does
appear to have some type of Star Trek god complex going on.  If Abrams is the
type of person who does not brush off his shoulders when outsiders tell him
they think he is wrong, then that might explain some of his actions.  I think
Shatner going public with his crusade to be on the show, guaranteed his fate.
It was tacky and idiotic to take the casting issue to the public.

I too found that a tremendous amount of work and care went into breathing life
into a dying franchise, by evolving it into something new, a wonderful hybrid
of new and old,while staying true to some many of the aspects that are
important to trekkies.  I was home again.  I saw flaws, but overall after years
of missteps with Trek films over the last decade or so, (First Contact being
the exception) Abrams delivered the goods.  I also saw improvements.  In my
mind, I hated that Uhuru, Sulu, Scotty and Chekov were glorified extras. I see
potential for more character development with their characters.  In a way,
there was more character development for them in two hours than in the entire
three years the series was on.  Showing more of the internal batter with being
both human and vulcan was also an interesting move in my opinion.

Just remember, two years ago, we did not know if or when there would be a new
trek film or show. Now, thanks to Abrams, we  have Trekkers 2.0 with new fans
that are hooked on the Trek mythology.  We are likely to have guaranteed at
least a decade of trek films and there is a Trek series in the works with a
really good producer with great scifi production credentials. we also will
likely see even more scifi movie productions.

With all the money that will be made, if there are ways to keep production
casts down, networks will open up again to more scifi series.

The man gave us a gift.