From: Keith Johnson <keithbjohn...@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Star Trek' Director Open To Sequel With William
Shatner Or Khan
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, May 16, 2009, 9:52 PM

      Gotta disagree. It's not that it isn't what I want, it's that I don't see
the need to rewrite history. Y'all keep saying Trek was dead. Maybe so, but how
does Vulcan's demise reinvigorate it? You can't explore young Spock with his
planet still intact? You can't have a Jim Kirk finding himself without killing
his dad too soon?  You can't tell interesting stories about Spock's struggle
with his dual nature without making him so overtly emotional?

Sorry, it is lazy storytelling. I've listened to at least half a dozen
interviews with Abrams, and in everyone he says "I didn't get Trek"..."It was
too cheesy and cheap-looking to hold my attention".. ."I never understood why I
should care about the characters".  So, he couldn't figure out how hundreds of
hours of TV shows can engage, him, so he decide to simply erase it.  This ain't
BSG: Trek was already rich and interesting.  Fans keep saying "Trek is dead and
tired", but Abrams ain't saying that. He ain't saying "I wanted to go back to
the old Trek", he says "I never liked Trek".

I'm not knocking making it fun and exciting, but I am and will continue to say
the changes to continuity were unnecessary. You don't have to sweep away
everything already in place to tell new stories.  I fear the time will come
when people will realize this isn't so much an homage and respect of Trek, but
a type of disrespect of it, of saying "It had potential, but I can do better".