Note toward the end of the article it says that Troupe is the most "highly
educated and awarded" reporter on the Planet staff. yet I'll be switched if I
can remember him being really meaningful in the Superman world.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Johnson" <keithbjohn...@comcast.net>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:23:30 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Does Superman have a black friend? - Ron Troupe

I think you might be confusing the editor role with Robbie Robertson, editor of
the Daily Planet in the Marvel Universe. There is a reporter of color who's
been around in the Superman books for years: Ron Troupe. Troupe's one of those
black characters that's really smart and calm and educated and dependable. He
is married to Lois Lane's sister Lucy. I remember reading some books years ago
where Lois' father had major issues with his daughter marrying the black
reporter. I've never thought of Troupe as a close friend of Clark's, a la Jimmy
Olsen, and frankly, while I've read superman comics for some four decades, I
can't remember him making a real big contribution to the storylines over the
years. He reminds me of those black characters added to be really impressive,
but then not really central to the storyline. It was treatment like that that
irritated me about Pete Ross on "Smallville" being recast as a Black man who
then was pretty useless and ignored in the stories.

Here's some info on Troupe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Troupe
Ron Troupe
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation , search    Ron Troupe

Ron Troupe
Publication information
Publisher       DC Comics
First appearance        Adventures of Superman #480 (July 1991)
Created by      Jerry Ordway (writer)
Tom Grummett (artist)
In-story information
Alter ego       Ronald Troupe
Team affiliations       Daily Planet
Newstime Magazine
Supporting character of         Superman
Abilities       Trained journalist, above average powers of observation

Ron Troupe is a fictional journalist , a supporting comic book character
published by DC Comics . He debuted in Adventures of Superman #480 (July 1991),
and was created by Jerry Ordway and Tom Grummett .

Alongside with Cat Grant , he is one of the most enduring characters of the
Daily Planet bullpen created in DC's Post-Crisis Universe. He first appeared in
Adventures of Superman #480 (July 1991), where he is turned down for a job at
the Daily Planet by acting-editor Sam Foswell. In the following issue, he got a
job at Colin Thornton 's Newstime magazine, when Jimmy Olsen was late for his
interview. Shortly afterwards he was fired from Newstime , and hired by Perry
White , who had returned to the Planet . During the Reign of the Supermen ,
White compared Troupe's piece on the Cyborg Superman to the first Superman
stories by Lois Lane and Clark Kent .

Troupe is one of the Planet 's more level-headed reporters, and not as likely
to get into situations he cannot get out of as Lois or Jimmy, although he is
still prepared to run risks in pursuit of a story. He has twice taken on the
racist supervillain Bloodsport II . During events following the selling of
Daily Planet to LexCorp , Ron Troupe and Lois Lane's sister Lucy Lane , were
having an affair. In current Superman comics, he is married to Lucy, and they
have a son, Samuel Troupe, named for her father Sam Lane . [ 1 ]

Since the events of Infinite Crisis , Ron and Lucy's relationship has not been
explored. Lucy now works in Washington D.C. for the military and Ron is still
in Metropolis. According to Action Comics Annual #11 (May 2008), Ron Troupe is
the most highly educated reporter on staff at the Daily Planet , and has more
awards than anyone else at the paper. It is also stated that he is known for
his political editorials, he is an avid activist in too many groups to list,
and he often butts heads with Daily Planet Sports Editor Steve Lombard on
nearly everything.