From: ravenadal <ravena...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [scifinoir2] DC Screws McDuffie and Buries Milestone
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, September 3, 2009, 1:58 PM

http://selux. notlong.com

DC Screws McDuffie and Buries Milestone

Source: Pop Culture Shock

Pop Culture Shock posted a great article here about the plight of Dwayne
McDuffie and the Milestone characters. I am not going to go over the ins and
outs of the events leading up to the subject of the article, but to summarize
my understanding is that DC signed McDuffie to write for the JLA, and then
handcuffed him by taking away the Big 3 (Supes, Bats, and WW) and then
basically limiting him to the C,D and E team characters. As part of DCs overall
deal with McDuffie, they also acquired the Milestone line of characters,
including Static. Obviously, due to the popularity of Static, its apparent that
the whole thing was to get control of Static for use in the DC universe. EDIT:
BTW-check out the Pop Culture Shock link because it has an interview with
McDuffie about the whole ordeal.

http://www.popcultu reshock.com/ didio-plans- milestoners- static/50200/

I am pretty sure that DC's committment to integrating the Milestone characters
into the DC universe was a temporary ruse. It seems that DC is notorius for
picking up popular characters and comic lines just so they can't be used
anywhere else. So, here we have DC picking up Milestone and deciding not to use
the characters at all, except for the one they wanted: Static (now appearing as
a member of Teen Titans). The end result being that McDuffie can't even use or
license those characters to anyone else (Marvel), or use them in a relaunch of
Milestone (not saying that was likely, but the time IMO is right). DC takes the
characters and places them on the shelf.

Can't say I'm not surprised to see McDuffie get screwed over by DC. It isn't
like they were very welcoming from the get go. I remember how hyped I was when
Milestone first started. Comic books for black people by black people.
Recently, I evengot copies of every single Milestone comic. It was
revolutionary and those guys were ahead of their time. It was also giving black
artists and writers who weren't getting gigs at Marvel and DC a place to
showcase their talent and many careers were launched as a result. At that time
there wasn't a lot of support for Milestone, and it didn't stay around long
enough. But I think that now would be the ideal time for something like
Milestone.

With the success of Blade and Will Smith at the box office, the rise of the
webcomics and iPhone comic viewers, and the future of comic distribution, I
have no doubt that Milestone would have been successful on a relaunch. I know
that McDuffie & Friends hold these characters dear to their hearts (and
wallets) and I know that they ultimately bear the responsibilty( DC probably
gave them a boatload of money) for the fuckery that DC is perpetuating against
them (just because I pay for the sex, doesn't mean I want to get raped). So,
here's to you DC, for showing your ass once again.