I don't get the outrage. My grandfather raised livestock and my cousins and I
fed them, cared for them, etc. during the summers. After the first steer we
raised disappeared and came back in coolers wrapped in white butcher's paper we
were shocked and mad...until we got our share of the hamburger and other meat.
Farm kids learn early on that those animals are not going to be there forever
and if they come back it will be as dinner. This doesn't encourage cruelty or
anything of the sort in fact it usually has the opposite effect. The animals
are well cared for because they are income and/or food.

The incident described in the article is a pretty common practice in production
agriculture courses, FFA and 4-H. My friend is teacher and does a similar
program with his 7th graders. We both majored in animal science in college and
part of the course work was humanely raising and processing food animals.

More people need to understand where their food comes from and it isn't the
store. ;)