Anyone catch the debut tonight? I thought it was good. The opening, where you
see a landscape of smoking buildings and wrecked cars, was pretty good. Going
back in time a few hours to see the actual moment of the worldwide blackout was
pretty neat too. Comparisons of an opening like this to the unforgettable
opening scenes of "Lost" are inevitable, but not entirely accurate. The
blackout moment here was good, but not as spectacular as in "Lost". Of course,
that may simply be because the latter is a hard act to follow. But still, good
stuff.

I usually don't like the slowly-unfolding-mystery deal because it's been
overdone, but this has lots of potential. Some interesting storylines that can
be revealed over the next six months, and of course, the whole question of
whether the glimpsed future is inevitable or changeable is intriguing. The
actors are in the main good. Feinnes has a kind of stoic (some might say
wooden) thing going on that works for a lawman trying to uncover the truth of
what has happened. John Cho is good in his role (and guys, Gabrielle Union is
playing his fiance, but she didn't show up yet, so be patient!). Courtney Vance
of course brings a solid performance to whatever he does. Just hope he gets
more screentime than his last stint on Law and Order: CI.

Have to admit some of the people's future glimpses had me wondering "what
the...?", especially Feinne's wife. Can't imagine trying to live in
anticipation of *that* future if I were her husband! The flash forward idea
makes one wonder, what about people who may be *dead* in six months? What would
they see as their minds try to flash forward into their future timelines?
Blackness? Their own deaths? Perhaps some kind of psychic backlash?

Overall, I enjoyed it, was intrigued enough by the mystery and possible futures
of the characters to come back, and will be watching--as long as ABC can manage
to keep it on the air!

Anyone else?