From: "Martin Baxter" <truthseeker...@hotmail.com>
To: "SciFiNoir2" <scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2009 7:31:56 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: RE: [scifinoir2] From the "Wow" Files: Ukrainian Wins Contest with
Sand Art

I'm breathless.

"If all the world's a stage and all the people merely players, who in bloody
hell hired the director?" -- Charles L Grant

To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
From: keithbjohn...@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 05:05:52 +0000
Subject: [scifinoir2] From the "Wow" Files: Ukrainian Wins Contest with Sand
Art

I rarely send out those "you've got to see this!" e-mails, but it applies here.
Simonova is the winner of the game show "Ukraine's Got Talent" for her
transcendent skills drawing images in sand. You have to see to believe her
skill moving the sand over the glass. Sometimes the transitions in scenery and
profiles are quick and breathtaking: don't blink! The story--the German
invasion of Ukraine during WWII--is moving. I've included a brief summary below
to fill in some details of what Ukrainians call "The Great Patriotic War".
Understanding the historical context of what Simonova is depicting helps
explain why the audience is moved to tears. The music fits, especially the
string rendition of "Nothing Else Matters" at the end. Amazing stuff. I can
only imagine what she does with sand in 3D.

Please give this a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=518XP8prwZo

[Some background on the story]

Simonova’s winning real-time animation depicted the Nazi invasion of Ukraine in
World War Two. It’s a poignant — and politically charged tale to relate on a
talent show. One in four Ukrainians died by the end of that war.
Simonova’s story begins with a couple sitting on a bench, holding hands. Soon
warplanes appear and the idyllic scene is destroyed. Simonova replaces the
scene with a woman crying. Then warplanes arrive again. A weeping widow morphs
into a monument to an Unknown Soldier. The final picture she creates is of a
mother and child bidding a sad farewell to a man with his hands pressed against
the glass...She moves the judges to tears as she subtitles the final scene "you
are always near".

Microsoft brings you a new way to search the web. Try Bing™ now