Yeah, Leo's character was interesting.  Note that in the first few eps of
Homicide, she wore more makeup. The hair was still wild, but it was less
tangled than in later shows. Leo is an attractive woman, but after the first
half season or so, it's obvious the makeup is way toned down, and the character
is way, way plainer looking. Loved her character.   I thought Hoffman--who I
remember from the sitcom "Dear John""--was a good character. I liked the way
Yaphet Kotto's character was pissed when Hoffman was promoted over him, due to
a need to promote women. (that youngish looking commander of his told him so).
What a bitter irony: a black man who's had to fight and work hard and deal with
racism is passed over for a white woman, and the the powers that be making the
decision are in large part other black men!  It's another reason I loved
Homicide: no other show on TV at the time was so frank with real life problems,
not even NYPD Blue.  There was a show where Russert tries to set Al up with a
date, and it doesn't go well, and he has to explain to her that some black
people just don't like people who are as dark skinned as him. Again, real TV I
frankly haven't seen before or since on broadcast TV.

As for the other women, I liked Michael Michelle's character, as well as Terry,
the lighter-skinned sister who joined later. Good strong women, but at the same
time, their addition--and that of a couple of the younger men such as Reed
Diamond and the Italian dude--was a bit troubling. NBC started monkeying with
the series, and felt there were too many old, out of shape, and unattractive
people in the cast. Remember Crosetti, who commited suicide, or Ned Beatty? NBC
felt the show lacked enough young hard bodies, and that's why so many of the
good characters from early on left, and so many young actors were brought in.
It's a testament to the power of the showrunners and the quality of the
actors--all good despite their looks--that the show continued to be so
incredibly good. But still, the network monkeying didn't help.

As for that Asian lady who liked to sleep and make out in coffins? I couldn't
get with that in any shape form or fashion. Anything approaching a love for the
dead, coffins, graves, etc., is just too weird for this man. You could give me
Kenya Moore, Gabrielle Union, Senaa Lathan, or Charisma Carpenter in string
bikinis, and I'd avoid 'em all like the plague if they tried to get me to
makeout in a coffin!