I agree, I've heard the same from Africans I know. Still, I rankle at treatments of any group where only the negatives are shown. I get it, but it's the same dangerous precedent for American movies where Blacks and Latinoes have been portrayed as always poor, gangbangers, or thieves.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tracey de Morsella" <tdli...@multiculturaladvantage.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2010 12:09:10 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: RE: [scifinoir2] TV Watchtower: 'Avatar' vs. 'District 9'

I’ve met some people from South Africa who tell me that when Apartheid ended, Nigerian mob types moved in to exploit the situation and now basically rule the underworld there and in other places in Africa.  I have seen them portray in a similar way in other South African films. There were also portray as having superstitions in those other movies.  You might note, that they portrayed Black South Africans similar to the way they portrayed White South Africans.  The Black South Africans I have met seem to resent them.  I would imagine that many White South Africans do to.  Since was originally filmed for the South African Market, it seems to me that it is not odd that most South Africans would assume that the Nigerian mob in South Africa would exploit the alien situation.  So why I do not think I would be pleased if I were in charge of the Nigerian Tourism Bureau, I do not see this as racism per se, but maybe a common stereotype about a group, Similar to how Italians were portrayed here in the twentieth century.