Anyone watch the debut of this series? It's showing on both one of the Encore
and Starz channels. I tried to watch the show, out of curiosity, and because
Lucy Lawless is one of the stars. But I came in in the middle of a battle scene
that frankly made me laugh and grown. Lawless in an interview I'd seen
mentioned the show was modeled in part on "300". But what I saw was a bad
imitation of "300": the same not-quite-real backgrounds, the now recognizable
fast-slow-fast movements of the soldiers in battle, blue-grey backgrounds whose
colors are splashed liberally with the blood flowing like wine in battle. Lots
of close ups of decapitations, swords cleaving flesh to expose nasty cuts. it
was all a bit too frenetic and artificial looking for me. And I gotta admit
that title--"...Blood and Sand" already had me a bit leery.
Granted, i didn't see anything but the battle. Maybe the actual acting is good
and it's worth a look? Can anyone give a recommendation?

http://www.starz.com/originals/spartacus

Betrayed by the Romans. Forced into slavery. Reborn as a Gladiator. The classic
tale of the Republic’s most infamous rebel comes alive in the graphic and
visceral new series, Spartacus: Blood and Sand . Torn from his homeland and the
woman he loves, Spartacus is condemned to the brutal world of the arena where
blood and death are primetime entertainment. But not all battles are fought
upon the sands. Treachery, corruption, and the allure of sensual pleasures will
constantly test Spartacus. To survive, he must become more than a man. More
than a gladiator. He must become a legend.

Starring Australian actor, Andy Whitfield ( McLeod's Daughters) as Spartacus,
Lucy Lawless (Xena: Warrior Princess) as Lucretia, John Hannah ( The Mummy,
Four Weddings and A Funeral) as Batiatus and Peter Mensah (300, The Incredible
Hulk) as Doctore, this unique mix of live action, graphic novel effects and
brutal battle sequences is set to make "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" an epic
television event.