From: "Kelwyn" <ravena...@yahoo.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:36:00 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [scifinoir2] Re: "Avatar" Keeps Rolling on Worldwide

This is not entirely accurate. Thomas Dixon, author of the source play "The
Clansman," was a former classmate of President Woodrow Wilson at Johns Hopkins
University. Dixon arranged a screening at the White House, for Wilson, members
of his cabinet, and their families. Wilson was reported to have commented of
the film that "it is like writing history with lightning. And my only regret is
that it is all so terribly true". In Wilson: the new freedom, Arthur Link
quotes Wilson's aide, Joseph Tumulty, who denied Wilson said this and also
claims that "the President was entirely unaware of the nature of the play
before it was presented and at no time has expressed his approbation of it."

However, Woodrow Wilson's "History of the American People" explained the Ku
Klux Klan of the late 1860s as the natural outgrowth of Reconstruction, a
lawless reaction to a lawless period. Wilson noted that the Klan "began to
attempt by intimidation what they were not allowed to attempt by the ballot or
by any ordered course of public action."[11] In the film, approbation for the
Klan, citing Wilson's History, is directly quoted.

Relentless in publicizing the film, Dixon was apparently the source for the
quotation. It has been repeated so often in print that it has taken on a
separate life. Dixon went so far as to promote the film as "Federally
endorsed". After controversy over the film had grown, Wilson wrote that he
disapproved of the "unfortunate production."