Cool device, but, watching Jobs hold it up at the roll out, I just couldn't
help feeling as if I were looking at a big-A iPhone! It almost looks like some
kind of joke prop where someone's rigged up an oversized iPhone for a skit or
something. Still, intriguing. No one has ever really made tablets big sellers.
Wonder if Apple can do it again?

Funny aside: on NPR they were talking about a guy with HP who is a fan of
tablets. He spoke of how Star Trek TNG first introduced him to the concept. I'd
say the Original Series was first, with the electronic writing tablets that
Kirk used to sign for his yeomen. Those tablets held text as well, though they
weren't necessarily as fancy as the TNG ones.

Oh--it took me a solid five minutes to get into the Apple site. It'll be
sluggish for a while I guess...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10442315-1.html?tag=hotTopicsBody.1

Should the Apple iPad be considered a computer?

by Dan Ackerman
Share

Long before Apple unveiled its iPad tablet device (officially the worst kept
secret in the history of technology), we had been giving serious thought to
whether such a device should be called a computer or not . By some standards,
the iPad is essentially a keyboard-less laptop, but by others, it's more akin
to a portable media player, such as the iPod Touch .

Late last year, we outlined the possible arguments for and against each case,
saying:

There are two schools of thought on this: either the Apple tablet (or iSlate,
or whatever it ends up being called) will be a 10-or-so-inch tablet PC with a
full Mac OS X operating system; or it will merely be a larger-screen version of
the current iPod Touch, which has a closed, limited phone-like OS.

The former would mean it could very likely run any software you'd run on a
MacBook, from Firefox to Photoshop, and maybe even install Windows 7 via Boot
Camp or Parallels. The later points to a hermetically sealed ecosystem, where
apps would have to be approved and sold through an official app store (as in
iTunes).

Particularly with our love for all things tablet and laptop-related, we'd
always hoped the Apple tablet would fit into the former category, while the
steady stream of news, rumors, and speculation pointed unflinchingly towards
the latter.

But, even though the device as described by Apple initially feels more like a
portable media player and less like a computer, is it fair to kick it out of
the computer category entirely? Within our office, the topic was the subject of
a surprising amount of heated debate.

My laptops co-editor Scott Stein presented a compelling case for even an
app-store-locked device such as this being considered a computer, saying that
the current OS environment we're used to is woefully out of date. He added that
the look and feel of app-driven devices such as the iPhone are actually much
more useful on small-screen systems such as Netbooks, that are closer to the
iPhone and iPod Touch in terms of usage scenarios.

In fact, one can envision a not-too-distant future where an iPhone style
interface becomes more prevalent on small Netbook and smartbook systems ,
rather than a full PC OS trickling down to ever-smaller devices. We've already
seen this in a limited number of Intel Atom Netbooks that skipped Windows XP
for a Linux OS, complete with a collection of pre-loaded apps, and a custom
big-icon interface.

For newer examples of this concept in action, look no further than the Lenovo
U1 Hybrid laptop we saw at CES. Its break-apart design mixes a traditional
Windows 7 environment with a custom tablet OS, with pre-loaded apps and
features. Similar app-heavy operating systems can be found on some of the
smartbook prototypes we saw at CES -- but while feeling similar to iPhone OS,
the inclusion of a keyboard and traditional clamshell design puts them much
closer to the PC category than anything else.

Another vote in favor of calling the iPad a computer is the inclusion of the
very computer-oriented iWork suite of apps. If we're creating spreadsheets and
PowerPoint-like Keynote presentations, then its usage model is much closer to a
laptop than a media player.

And, of course, the keyboard dock essentially makes this a close cousin of the
iMac all-in-one desktop. Although, the dock should really let you connect the
unit horizontally, instead of just vertically.

The other side of the argument is that the iPad's lack of freedom to install
basic apps and plug-ins, such as FireFox or even Flash, makes this far too
limited a system to be considered a full-fledged computer. Ditto for the
apparent lack of multitasking.

Steve Jobs actually thinks the iPad is an entirely new category, somewhere
between a handheld phone-size device and a full laptop. What do you think? Is
the iPad a "real" computer, a big portable media player, or something brand
new? Sound off below!