From: "Omari Confer" <clockwork...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2010 3:03:59 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] What if Actors' Roles were Switched in "Sherlock
Holmes"?

Law doesnt have the emotional depth to pull off Sherlock. Plain and simple.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Keith Johnson < keithbjohn...@comcast.net >
wrote:

After seeing the movie last Sunday, I was wondering about the casting. Downey
and Law are really good, but why did Ritchie cast them that way? Law, who's
taller, a bit leaner, and has a bit more of an intensely thoughtful look, would
seem at first glance to be the natural choice to play Holmes. At least, he
probably on the surface appears closer to the tall, lean, serious Holmes of all
those movies i saw as a kid. Downey, with his shorter stature, lined, worn
face, large expressive eyes, and tendency to look comical, serious,and slightly
"off" all at once, would seem to be a good fit for a slightly comedic
Watson--the guy who comments/critiques/jokes from the sidelines as the
oh-so-serious Holmes goes about solving the crimes.

Indeed, i can see a time before Downey's return to such lofty heights, where
another director would probably think it natural to cast the dapper and
handsome Law as Holmes, and the quixotic Downey as his funny sidekick. Wonder
how such a movie would have turned out? Would the casting have dictated a more
traditional take on the characters? Would Rithie's slight twist on the
traditional movie treatments of the characters still have worked if the roles
had been switched?

--
READ MY BLOG
http://centralheatingblog.blogspot.com