From: "Daryle Lockhart" <dar...@darylelockhart.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2010 8:36:47 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] "Precious" Among Big Oscar Nominees

I think "District 9" and "Avatar" have no business on this list. For the
criteria they're using for "Avatar", "Star Trek" may as well have been
nominated, and I also think that if there was no Avatar this year, there's a
good chance Star Trek WOULD have been on that list. Until "Avatar" came out, we
were clearly talking about "Precious" and "the Hurt Locker" for Best Picture.

The ten nominee list is for ratings, but then again, the whole reason the show
is on TV is to sell ads. The Academy could care less what regular people think.

That being said, I completely agree that "Up" should be nominated for Best
Picture. It was one of the best MADE pictures all year.

To Keith's point, having ten nominees lets everything in, and thus, "The Blind
Side". This is the best marketed B-movie of the year. It's not that I hated
this film, I just think it belonged on television. It's not excellent in any
way, whereas with "Precious", you can find moments (scattered, yes) of absolute
brilliance. Mo'Nique deserves this award and I think everyone else nominated
for Best Supporting Actress knows it.

"The Princess And The Frog" nominated for Best Animated Feature is a great,
great call, I think, because the animation work on it was really good. It's
good to see a classic animated feature get recognized.

All in all, this award show will probably be as boring as last year's, with the
exception of some "upsets" and Mo'Nique's speech.