Dollhouse
<http://io9.com/5460980/dollhouse-started-with-desire-but-ended-with-paranoi
a>  Started With Desire, But Ended With Paranoia

It's been a week since Joss Whedon <http://io9.com/tag/josswhedon/> 's
Dollhouse closed up its rent-a-slave operation, and we're still grieving,
for the stories that will never be told now. Dollhouse kept exceeding its
limitations - but never reached its potential. Spoilers rising...

There are really two kinds of television shows: the ones canceled too soon,
and the ones that drag on past their best-by date. Very, very few TV shows
end at the right time. Even though Dollhouse got enough advance warning that
it was able to cobble together a definite conclusion, we still feel as
though it belongs in the same category as Firefly, Terminator: SCC and many
other shows.

Dollhouse started out as the most conceptually ambitious thing Joss Whedon's
ever done - but forcing that concept into the box of a weekly TV show was a
process akin to chainsaw bonsai. Whedon was clear, from before the show
launched, that this was fundamentally a show about a woman who had been
robbed of her identity and dehumanized. The overall arc of Dollhouse was
going to be about the mind-wiped Echo fighting to regain her stolen sense of
selfhood. And yet, the needs of having a weekly "happy ending" meant we had
to root for the clients who hired Echo's prostituted shell every week.

Or as the sardonic Boyd put it, "We're pimps and killers, but in a
philanthropic way." At its best, the show had fun with this dichotomy, but
it was often a bit of a stretch.

Almost every television show nowadays has the conflict between stand-alone
and "arc" episodes, and every show has to find its own answer to that
dilemma, with wildly varying degrees of success. With Dollhouse, you ended
up with a situation where the stand-alone episodes were all about desire and
longing - mostly the clients' - and the "arc" was all about paranoia and
existential dread. So the now-traditional arc-vs-stand-alone tension became
a tension between desire and fear. And as the show becomes more serialized
during its run, you see a slow shift from desire to fear.

(I was somewhat optimistic about the replacement of the original, more
thriller-y pilot with the "hostage negotiator" episode, and the "five
pilots" that followed, but in retrospect it would have been way better if
Fox had just let Whedon launch the show with something that explored the
negative implications of the premise more fully.)

To be sure, there was something haphazard about Dollhouse's arc - Whedon was
planting the seeds for "Epitaph One"'s apocalypse as early as episode six,
"Man In The Street," but I'm sure we would have gotten there much more
slowly, and maybe in a different form if the show hadn't been facing
imminent cancellation.

But at the same time, my sense is that this slow burn, from exploring the
complexities of human need to delving into the paranoia of corporate
mindfuckery, was always going to be part of the show. If the show had lasted
six seasons, we would have taken the journey in a different way, and some of
the plot points might have felt a bit more elegant, but this was probably
always the shape. We start out delving into the ramifications of people who
want what they can't really have - because why else do you hire a
pre-programmed human automaton? - and over time, the show shifts into
showing that the real ramifications of our desires is that we all become the
slaves of a corporation that wants to own our minds.

In a sense, Dollhouse was the story of how wanting what you can't have
inevitably turns you into the property of companies that will take away
everything you do have.

I'm pretty sure everybody reading this has had the experience of lust, or
longing, turning into dread and remorse. It's one of the most
quintessentially human experiences, and Dollhouse, taken as a whole,
captures it in an amazing way.

Dollhouse was already a complex and challenging show before we ever saw
"Epitaph One" - we'd already seen how Sierra was turned into a Doll because
she said no to the wrong rich guy, for example - but now it's inevitably
going to be viewed as a show about the apocalypse. Almost every interesting
genre TV show nowadays winds up being about the apocalypse, one way or the
other - look at BSG, Terminator: SCC and Jericho, and I'm willing to bet
Fringe's pandimensional war will look more apocalyptic at some point - but
Dollhouse was the first show where Fantasy Island basically destroyed the
entire human race.

More importantly, evil robots didn't destroy the world, we did. Even though
Dollhouse gives us a convenient scapegoat in the thoroughly evil Rossum
Corp., it's still clear that it took a village to raise Hell on Earth. Every
orgasm, every catharsis, that Echo dished out brought us closer to turning
everybody into "dumb shows" and "butchers," because the Dollhouse was
perfecting the tech in the field, and Topher was gaining more understanding
of how to turn everyone's brains into mush.

(By the way, I'm not rhapsodizing about how much I loved the characters on
Dollhouse here, because I already did that with last
<http://io9.com/5456899/10-reasons-well-miss-joss-whedons-dollhouse>  week's
list of ten things we'll miss about the show.)

Interestingly, Dollhouse writer Jane Espenson left the show to go work on
another show about brain-copying leading to the apocalypse: Caprica, where
Zoe Graystone's brain gets duplicated and winds up becoming the template for
the deadly Cylons that end Caprican civilization.

But in Caprica, the reasons for the impending apocalypse are much more
television-friendly: there's Daniel Graystone's grief over the death of his
daughter, causing him to create the robot Zoe that becomes the first Cylon.
And there's the religious fanatacism of the hysterical monotheists, who blow
up the train and kill the original Zoe in the first place. (For us, the
viewers, Caprica's religious disputes seem a bit odd, since we stopped
worshipping Athena and Zeus long ago, and nothing bad happened. But then we
already know that BSG ends by hinting that there really is a God, and he's a
cruel bastard who personally orchestrated the Cylon genocide, just for
jollies.)

In any case, Caprica's apocalypse comes about because of family and
religion: motivations we can get behind. Dollhouse's apocalypse, meanwhile?
Is the product of lust, greed, fear and ego-mania. It's born of sleaze, and
nurtured in hubris. (Oh, and rich people treating the rest of us like toys.)
It's hard to believe this show actually made it onto broadcast TV.

The weird thing is that "Epitaph Two," the second post-apocalyptic episode,
seems to refute the idea that this is a show about the apocalypse. Admit -
you didn't expect this show to have such an upbeat ending, did you? Even
with the deaths of Paul and Topher, it was weirdly much sunnier than I'd
have expected from the famously dark 'n' twisted Joss.

Because, all along, this show wasn't just a downer fable about how evil
corporations will wipe your mind, or about how your fantasies are the keys
to oblivion, or whatever - all along, it was really about how we'll triumph
over all that. Whedon talked up this hopeful theme over and over again: the
central message of Dollhouse was always the indomitability of Echo. And by
the end, we get a few other hopeful themes, like the fact that Victor and
Sierra's love really does kinda conquer all, and the redemptions of Adelle
and Topher, our two original "villains." (If you think Paul needed
redeeming, I'd argue he gets that, too.)

Who knew that Joss Whedon's darkest, sickest show would turn out to be his
most optimistic and life-affirming?

And that's why I'm most convinced that Dollhouse should have had a few more
years to run its course. Not just because the shift from "eww icky fantasy
fulfillment" to "the whole human race is at stake" could have been a
smoother arc. Or because the awareness that Rossum was the real monster, and
that the L.A. Dollhouse was going to have to posse up and fight, could have
dawned more slowly. But because it would have been something to see the "you
can't stop Echo's brainwaves" message developing and amplifying over time.

There could have been some serious "fuck yeah" moments built around Echo
reclaiming her personhood and becoming a multi-faceted ninja, a process
which was mostly skated over in the six-month gap during the "Jane Doe"
episode.

But yeah, I'm still grateful for what we've got, and for getting enough
clues and enough subtle jabs to be able to figure out the missing bits and
sketch out what the story would have looked like if it had gotten the six
years it deserved. It's not what we should have gotten, but maybe it's
enough.

Send an email to Charlie Jane Anders, the author of this post, at
charliej...@io9.com
<mailto:charliej...@io9.com?subject=http://io9.com/5460980/dollhouse-started
-with-desire-but-ended-with-paranoia> .