I support strongly both "Precious" and Tyler Perry's films.

The former is painful to watch, and I get that some blacks are upset that its
overall negative portrayals will reinforce the mainstream idea of what we are
as a people. I get that, but it's an unfortunate truth: too many young black
people deal with abuse, broken homes, etc. So i celebrate its unblinking
(though admittedly extreme) look at that part of the world. By the same token,
I strongly supported "Boyz in Da Hood" and "Menace 2 Society" as tough but
necessary looks at one aspect of black life. What I don't support is that part
of black life become the only thing shown on screen. After a while, the glut of
"in da hood" flicks became too much and too one-sided.

That's one reason I support Tyler Perry. Yeah, his stuff is cartoonish and
predictable. Yeah, his villains are so bad they need Snidley Whiplash mustaches
to twirl. But he also conveys a strong sense of family, and that there's
nothing wrong with having a spiritual life. He also tackles in his own way the
very negative images of blacks: showing in one film that for all the negative
stereotypes of us that exist (which he showcases), there are many more positive
ones. So that drug dealer or wife beater or child abuser is shown as only one
jacked up aspect of black life, and the aunts, uncles, best friends, and
cousins are shown as the positive side that are often overlooked. The broken
family isn't the all, if only the hapless man or woman can find the strength to
lean on that good family just waiting to embrace him or her. The fancy player
is shown to be a fool, and the good, steady guy is shown to not only be
desirable, but more importantly, present, if only black women (and white
producers) would look for him.
His skills as a writer are arguable, but Perry shows movies in which black
people have morals, strong families, jobs, a strong, positive spiritual life,
and don't have to lean on or marry white people to be successful. Indeed, one
reason Perry had to do his own thing is because the Hollywood suits doubted his
movies would have widespread appeal. He has whites in his cast, true, but the
movies still center around black-on-black love, which is still too lacking in
H'wood.

I'm wondering what else is needed for black directors to go through the door as
you mentioned. We've had Spike Lee, the Hughes and Hudlin brothers, and Tyler
Perry. We've had Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Halle Berry, and and a host of
other black actors and actresses. So why is black love still rare on the big
screen? Why is H'Wood still focusing on white male fantasies of getting black
women, while ignoring black male love interests?
Why are the only black movies that show black romantic love things like "Brown
Sugar". "Love Jones", etc., with actors that sometimes are considered
B-listers?