From: "Mr. Worf" <hellomahog...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:28:35 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Outlook grim for gaming industry

EA lost a lot of money with Spore over the last couple of years. They were
trying to capitalize on the success of the Sims (1,2,3) franchise and turn it
into aliens/exploration/space travel game. The problem that they made with the
game was that you cannot please everyone with a G rated game when the gaming
audience is mostly teens and adults.

I think what also hurt them was the greed behind offering exclusive rights to
games. So instead of having revenue stream from PS3, XBOX, and Wii gamers you
may only get PS3 or XBOX. Instead of turning a profit you may only break even.

Another problem is I think that EA is too massive for their own good. They had
over 58,000 employees before they did layoffs a few months ago. That's huge for
a game company.

What could save some of the companies like EA is diversification. Why not come
out with an innovative product that isn't a big overdeveloped game?

Every game that EA makes goes into production like a $100 million dollar
Hollywood movie. That is crazy! Spend it on the money makes like Sims, or
Madden and not on titles that are not as good.