The pilots are always weird. What usually happens is that they don't really
have the budget down after the pilot. I have seen some weird cast changes
happen too. For example, the show Trueblood changed a couple of regular
characters after the series got picked up. (Tara was played by a light
skinned actress.) They even dyed the main characters hair. The script didn't
change.