That's really sad. One good thing about living here in the South is that there are lots of soul food places. And, since Southern cooking is in many cases the same (fried chicken, greens, candied yams, etc) one can get good food of that type from some white-owned restaurants as well. Although to be frank, the best soul/Southern food I've had is still to be found back home in Texas. Some of the spices used here aren't quite as robust.  And for my Texan's taste, there's still precious little good barbecue to be found in Atlanta. The South is focused mostly on pig whereas Texas BBQ is more beef based, sauce tends to be watery/vinegary or mustard based here, while Texas sauce is often thicker, sweeter, and less vinegary. And I've yet to find a lot of Atlantan BBQ joints that realize the meet should be cooked and seasoned so well that you don't have to put sauce on it (even though you do so!) Many places here don't really smoke the meat, and don't season it well, so that sauce becomes a necessity.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mr. Worf" <hellomahog...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:27:43 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Celebrity chef Beppe Bigazzi upsets viewers with his  cat casserole

There are a couple of places here that does fish and chicken, but the rest are pretty bad or very small.

There was a small chain of bbq restaurants here called Emilo Villas and now there are down to one place about 20 miles from here.

Even the black owned burger joints are almost all gone. There is only couple left.