To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
From: tdli...@multiculturaladvantage.com
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:21:47 -0800
Subject: [scifinoir2] How Steampunk Literature Has Changed In The Past Decade

Ann and Jeff VanderMeer are almost done reading the submissions for their
second steampunk anthology, which will focus much more on stories from the past
decade as opposed to classic tales. And they're noticing some big changes in
the make-up of steampunk lit. Writes Jeff VanderMeer:

The biggest change is that a subgenre in which very few women wrote now
features a plethora of women-as Ann and I had suspected, and stated in various
interviews at the time-and thus many more female contributors to this second
volume. The greater variety of setting and situation, though, is pretty even
across gender. This anthology is also situated at the cusp of much more robust
participation in this subgenre internationally and multi-culturally... Indeed,
Steampunk Version 2.0 seems to have reached its peak–without that
infusion of new perspectives, it's likely to eat itself rather rapidly.

[Ecstatic
Days]

Send an email to Charlie Jane Anders, the author of this
post, at charliej...@io9.com.

Database version: 6.14390

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469226/direct/01/