From: "Martin Baxter" <martinbaxt...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:54:13 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Who is Clark Rockefeller?

WHOA. Now THAT was a Movie of the Week, in and of itself.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Keith Johnson < keithbjohn...@comcast.net >
wrote:

It was pretty good, a departure for the guy who's been labeled as one of the
gay guys from "Will and Grace". What I like is the movie's pretty recent: he's
still in jail, and his ex-wife is still trying to get him legally barred from
ever having any contact with their daughter again. And, the case of that
murdered couple is still being investigated.

Scary. And as crazy as it sounds that such people exist and can tell such
blatant lies, all too true. My wife and I used to know a guy just like that. He
told all these stories about all the things he'd done in the past: two tours in
Nam, being a law enforcement guy who busted drug dealers, etc. But no one ever
met any of his family--ever--to confirm any of his stories. The old "everyone's
dead, and the rest I just don't want to talk to" excuse.

He was able to get free rent at apartment complexes by telling the managers
that he was a former veteran and law guy, and trade onsite security for a free
apartment. Dude was a consummate con: he claimed he was trying to find the
right church, and thus, tried on about half a dozen different faiths before
becoming a Seventh Day Adventist. What we later discovered was that he was
trying to find a church where he could manipulate the people and find a mate.
He married a lady from that church who was an ardent Adventist, then used her
beliefs to control her. For example, Adventists typically honor the Sabbath:
staying home, not watching TV, etc. Well, this guy was always having to deal
with "emergencies" at night and on the Sabbath. You'd have thought our complex
was a hangout of the mob! What he was doing was simply taking nighttime
"visits", using the security problem as a threat, and being confident his
fearful, obedient wife would stay in the house when he was out doing his thing.

Guy had a newborn son who he claimed was by a woman who was dangerously
unstable, and thus, he had to protect the boy from her. He said the mother was
so crazy she'd try to kidnap the child, and even, try to hurt his wife. This
was another excuse for him to tell his wife to stay inside all day while he was
working, as he couldn't be there to protect her should the crazed mother
appear. And this she did.

Dude had a wealth of skills: cooking, doing hair, sewing, automobile repair,
martial arts, etc.. He become a leader in the church, started teaching Bible
classes at home, and got a lot of us to attend. In time, the stories became too
strange to ignore. Started telling tales that got really bizarre. Actually told
me one night that he created Amazing Fantasy #15--which was a big mistake! We
couldn't understand why *not one* person from his past ever showed up, and of
course, the way he literally kept his wife sequestered was a red flag. When he
started talking about moving his family to a small Alabama town, buying a farm,
and maybe get all of us to join them, that was it. Dude noticed all of us
friends of his were starting to doubt, and withing a few weeks he and the
family was just gone like the wind.