The funny thing is, many of the right-wing groups are now starting to complain
about aspects of the Patriot Act, even though there were curiously silent when
Bush pushed it through. (and for my money, it's one of the worst, anti-freedom
things ever enacted). What's changed? Not the Act, just that there's a man of
color in the White House.
You're right on about the way these nuts take the attitude they can do what
they want 'cause it's right. I'm appalled at how people have shown up outside
Obama speeches wearing sidearms. Honestly, I didn't even think that was legal,
and I certainly didn't know people would dare to do this if not. The Republican
leadership has been very iffy on condemning violent and racist behavior. Ever
single time one of them does condemn the behavior, they make a major point of
saying "It has to stop on both sides". Okay, so some people on the left have
made threatening phone calls too. I don't recall hearing a Democrat call Bush a
liar in chambers, nor hear about liberal protesters spitting on Congressmen.
Next up? The gun rights activists plan a rally on April 19 in Washington. The
killer is that they claim it's because the first shot of the Revolutionary War
was fired on that day. Oddly, it's also the day Timothy McVeigh bombed the
Federal Building in Oklahoma City. They get pissed if you try to point that
out. Yet, there's no other day they could choose, to avoid that unseemly
connection? But it's right because they do it.
The biggest thing of all is, they have lied from the get-go that Obama's trying
to limit our right to bear arms, and nothing's further from the truth. It's
another way that they just put out a lie that bigots are only to happy to
believe about a Democrat President who's father is of African descent.
I haven't seen such concentrated hatred and willful ignorance like this since
the Civil Rights/Vietnam War/Watergate days...