From: "Kelwyn" <ravena...@yahoo.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2010 10:05:45 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [scifinoir2] Re: "Kick Ass" lightly taps butt

Chris Rock, who is one of the producers of "Death in a Funeral," has discovered
something I have known for years: the best way to upgrade the quality of black
films is to remake white ones. His "I Think I Love My Wife" (the thinking man's
"Why Did I Get Married") is loosely based on Eric Rohmer's obscure "Chloe in
the Afternoon."

What remaking little known white movies (especially foreign ones) offers the
black filmmaker is usually a sturdy chassis on which to construct a reel black
world populated with doctors, lawyers or, in this case, a tax accountant and a
best-selling author.

It allows the black filmmaker the opportunity to mine comedy from universal
themes instead of from primarily African-American antecedents - which, this
being America, often aren't very savory.

When you remake a white film with black actors, you don't have to explain
anything. It just is. Just like it was in the white original.

~rave!