Did anyone ask the woman why she didn't pull over and call 911?

Mom Gives Birth Behind Wheel of Chevy Cobalt, Gets Freebies From GM

Published May 27, 2010
   Poor So-So Pretty Good Good Excellent

   - Poor
   - So-So
   - Pretty Good
   - Good
   - Excellent

4 Ratings
4 Ratings
  *Just the Facts:

   - A Minnesota woman gave birth this week to a baby boy while driving her
   2005 Chevrolet Cobalt.
   - The baby's birth created a media sensation.
   - GM has since bestowed a variety of baby gifts on the family, including
   a year's worth of diapers.

*

*DETROIT* — A Minnesota woman who gave birth to a baby boy while driving her
red 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt
<http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/cobalt/2005/>earlier this week
has been given a carload of gifts from General Motors. The
bonanza includes a one-year supply of diapers, which the automaker said in a
statement is "to avoid any other unexpected deliveries in the car."

GM — which said the baby was "miraculously delivered" — gave the family two
child safety seats, a stroller and "numerous other supplies," including
bottles, formula and toys.

"We knew the Cobalt was designed to deliver its occupants safely, but never
did we expect a delivery quite like this," said Margaret Brooks, Chevrolet
product marketing director of small cars and crossovers.

The baby's birth created a media sensation. Amanda McBride was driving her
Chevy Cobalt to the hospital while in labor. The child's father, Joseph
Phillips, was unable to drive because of a medical condition, according to
the automaker. With the baby's birth imminent, McBride told the Bemidji *
Pioneer* that she pulled down her pants, while Phillips steered the car.
"And then the baby just came right out," she said. "I was just sitting on
the seat and he just slid out. It really wasn't bad at all."

McBride told ABC News that she was going about 70 miles per hour in the car
at the time and had put the car "on cruise."

The parents say that the baby has been nicknamed "Joe Chevy."