I'll offer this speculation about Drew Barrymore.  She's not dumb.  She
either is or behaves as though she's weird or flaky in part because she knew
from the time she was a child that she would not be able to pull off the
glamorous waif look that might otherwise keep her popularity high enough to
get her hired.

Tracy