http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/07/comiccon-tron-digitial-revolution-comic-con.html

Hero Complex

For your inner fanboy

COMIC-CON 2010: 'Tron's' digital revolution began 28 years ago today and
continues in San Diego

July 9, 2010

GUEST ESSAY

Jay West is a devoted fan and student of the 1982 film "Tron" and he has
written a series of guest columns on the viral marketing for the film's
sequel, "Tron: Legacy," due this December. Today, on the 28th anniversary
of the original film's release, West talks about the legacy of the film,
looking both forward and back, with emphasis on Comic-Con International
2010.

Twenty-eight years ago today, "Tron" arrived in movie theaters and made
movie history -- not that everybody actually noticed. Like "Blade Runner"
and John Carpenter's "The Thing," "Tron" was overshadowed that summer by
media frenzy surrounding Steven Spielberg's "E.T: The Extra-Terrestrial"
and its mega-success with moviegoers. Still, "Tron" did connect with a
devoted core audience and its influence continued to echo through the
years as it was "rediscovered" by subsequent generations.

The original "Tron" film was groundbreaking in its use of computer
generated imagery and, while today's fans might chuckle at the Reagan-era
visuals, they set the stage for today's movie marvels. "Without 'Tron,"'
Pixar guru John Lasseter has said, "there would be no 'Toy Story.'"

This December, moviegoers go back into the machine with "Tron: Legacy,"the
sequel from Disney that will be one of the major projects-to-watch at this
month's Comic-Con International [http://www.comic-con.org/]. At 11:15 a.m.
on July 22, the film will be promoted with a star-studded panel in Hall H,
the 6,500-seat room that is the standing-room-only hub of Comic-Con's
Hollywood programming. The panel will consist of director Joe Kosinski,
producers Sean Bailey and Steven Lisberger as well as cast members Jeff
Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde, Michael Sheen and Bruce
Boxleitner. Patton Oswalt will moderate and there will be new footage from
the film and, according to Disney, some special surprises.

It was at the 2008 convention that the vision of a 21st century "Tron"
film was born. When test footage was shown to a packed hall of incredibly
surprised convention attendees, it was met with such an overwhelmingly
positive response  the “it” moment of the convention  that the studio gave
the still-tentative film a bright green light to move forward.

Director Kosinski recalls: “When we made the teaser, we envisioned it as a
sneak peek at the potential of this project. We set out to stay true to
the characters, the vehicles, and the world established in the first film
then show its evolution. When it took off with the fans, we knew we were
in the right place. Because they’ve been key to getting this story told,
we’re back to keep them involved, and excited to finally present actual
footage from the film to the audience that made it all possible.”

This year the San Diego expo will provide the latest chapter of the "Flynn
Lives" [http://www.flynnlives.com/] ARG (alternate reality game) for
"Tron: Legacy" that has been the centerpiece of Disney's ambitious viral
marketing campaign for the sequel. (You can check out my guest-contributor
coverage [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/jay-west/] of the
ARG, which will continue through Comic-Con, right here at Hero Complex.)

Disney will also showcase an interactive "Tron" booth on the convention
floor (Booth No. 3712), giving fans a first look at the all new “Tron:
Legacy” merchandise launching this fall. The display will spotlight toys,
electronics, collectibles, apparel, accessories, publishing and the “Tron:
Evolution” video game from Disney Interactive Studios
[http://disney.go.com/disneyinteractivestudios/]. Comic-Con exclusive
products will also be on sale. Disney will also revealing tie-in mobile
content at the event.

Expect a lot more "Tron" in the months to come. The acclaimed music duo
Daft Punk [http://www.daftpunk.com/], for instance, is not only providing
the musical backbeat of the digital world on screen, there are rumblings
about major music events that will take the "Tron" universe to new
live-event frontiers. Today, on the 28th anniversary of "Tron," the
digital fantasy's glow has not faded at all -- far from it,"Tron" and its
future are becoming brighter every week.

-- Jay West