http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/08/fx-renews-louie-orders-sci-fi-comedy-pilot.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+live_feed+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Live+Feed%29

[
http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/08/fx-renews-louie-orders-sci-fi-comedy-pilot.html
]FX orders ‘Star Trek’ spoof pilot, renews ‘Louie’

by [ http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/author/jhibberd/ ]James Hibberd

August 3, 2010

FX has ordered a comedy pilot from the makers of "Reno 911" whose logline
makes it sound like an unofficial "Star Trek" parody.

Set a thousand years in the future, "Alabama" follows the crew of the
space ship USS Alabama as they continue a seven-year mission to maintain
interplanetary peace.

"The show will follow the heart-pounding action as our crew visits hostile
planets, meets alien life-forms, and tries to have sex with each other in
their tiny, metal bunk beds," FX said.

"Alabama" is created by and stars "Reno 911" veterans Thomas Lennon and
Ben Garant and, just like the former Comedy Central series, will be
part-scripted and part-improvised. Garant and Lennon are executive
producers along with Peter Principato and Paul Young.

In addition, FX has renewed the Louis C.K. comedy "Louie" for a 13-episode
second season.

The pickup comes about five weeks into the show's run, with the comedy
performing fairly modestly -- averaging about 1 million viewers per week.

The announcements were made at the Television Critics Association's press
tour, where FX had the longest presentation in the network's history,
scheduling nearly a full day of panels.

FX's entertainment president John Landgraf said he hopes to expand the
network's burgeoning lineup to a dozen shows, including 6-8 comedies.

After that, Landgraf said, the network will reach a saturation point,
unable to expand further due to the marketing costs associated with
promoting so many shows.

FX has already hit its goal to get on the comedy map, with veteran "It's
Always Sunny in Philadelphia" steadily improving in the ratings and
freshman animated series "Archer" becoming a surprise breakout. Along with
"Louie" and "The League," the network has four functioning half-hour
comedies.

Critics noted FX's paucity of Emmy nominations, and Landgraf noted that TV
Academy favorite "Damages," which is shifting to DirecTV, is set in the
upper echelons of elite Manhattan society compared to the network's array
of blue collar protagonists.

"Emmys live in their own separate universe," he said. "Of the shows that
qualified for an Emmy, 'Rescue Me,' 'Justified,' 'Sons of Anarcy' and
'Damages' … all accured as much acclaim universal acclaim based on their
Metacritic scores ... We the tendency to do the literature of the common
man and common woman … I don't think there's a lesson in personal grooming
to be taken from 'Sons'  ... Does that effect the Emmys? I don't know."

Landgraf also said that, for actors, in recent years it has become more
prestigious to land a cable show.

"It's become a status symbol for an actor to have a cable show," Landgraf
said. "A lot of being a movie star is being in a latex costume in front of
a green screen wearing guide-wires and learning to do karate."

Wrapping up the session, Landgraf noted, "I haven't said anything
Tweet-worthy," then announced: "Peter Rice told me I could deny that Steve
McPherson is becoming a judge on 'American Idol.'"