From: "Martin Baxter" <martinbaxt...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:28:56 AM
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Gary Kurtz Speaks Bluntly About George Lucas

Another spot-on analysis, Keith. Reminds me of a fantasy novel that came out a
few years ago (the name of which escapes me), considering what happens after
the happy ending, that there's the management and clean-up aspects yet to be
done. And I've read a few of the SW novels, enough to see the strengthening
foundation that been laid for the SWverse. One batch in particular regards the
Mandalorians (the clones of Jango Fett that chose not to be Stormtroopers,
packed up and left for Mandalor). They developed their own unique culture, and
even a language unlike any in the remnants of the Empire.

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Keith Johnson < keithbjohn...@comcast.net >
wrote:

The below from the interview really resonates with me. One problem i always had
with "Return of the Jedi" was the ending. I kept thinking that just because the
second Death Star was destroyed, and Vader and the Emperor dead, that only
meant the work was beginning. After all, there was a huge interstellar
apparatus in place that had aided and been complicit with the Empire's
depredations. This system included the rule of whole solar systems, a corrupt
Senate, leaders on hundreds of worlds loyal to the Empire that gave them money
and power, a military dedicated to the Empire, and a dearth of Jedi to enforce
the principles of the Old Republic. In short, the work was indeed just
beginning, and tackling the task of a galaxy-wide makeover of a totalitarian
state into a democratic one again would be a monumental task. Look at how the
former Soviet Union is already struggling mightily with autocratic elements
fighting with its democratic aspirations. They have a Prime Minister who was an
autocratic president who's basically their strong man.
So the "Ewok lua" as he put it, was indeed premature. I think that if you read
some of the books, and study the Expanded Universe online, you see more mature,
thoughtful, and in-depth treatments that handle that world a lot better than
the kid- and crowd-pleasing movies.