Another old school singer (literally, in this case) is Bettye LaVette. Many of
you probably heard of her recently. She sang at the pre-inaugural concert for
Obama in 2009, and has been getting more notice. LaVette started singing in the
'60s as a teen, but literally simply never made it. For example, an album she
recorded in 1972 was never released--until recently! LaVette has that gritty,
soulful voice that you associate with the best of blues, R&B, and soul, a voice
that sounds as if she's been smoking, drinking, and hoarse from yelling. She's
a phenomenal talent. It's sad, amazing, and uplifting all at once that going on
five decades later, she's just now making it. A real loss for the music world,
but then, in the music business, the truth is that most of the real talent
never gets to see success...

Watch a clip of LaVette singing for NPR's "Fresh Air":

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127043684

NPR "Fresh Air" Interview:
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=99777150&m=99777891

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99777150

January 23, 2009 - If you've never heard of Bettye LaVette, the soul singer who
belted out "A Change Is Gonna Come" with Jon Bon Jovi at the Inauguration
Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial on Jan 18., you may be wondering why.
There's a good reason: After a promising start in the early 1960s, when LaVette
had a couple of singles that became R&B hits, things just didn't work out for
her. The 1972 album she recorded for Atlantic that was supposed to be her
breakthrough wasn't released until 2000 when a French producer licensed it from
Atlantic and started her comeback. She released her most recent CD, The Scene
Of The Crime , in 2007...

December 17, 2007 - Bettye LaVette recorded her first hit, "My Man — He's a
Lovin' Man," at the age of 16. She toured with Ben E. King, Barbara Lynn and
Otis Redding. And now she's being crowned the Comeback Queen for her recent
albums, I've Got My Own Hell to Raise , which came out in 2005, and her recent
The Scene of the Crime .

LaVette recorded The Scene of the Crime at FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Ala.,
with the Southern rock band Drive-By Truckers and the legendary session
musician and songwriter Spooner Oldham. (He played on Wilson Pickett's "Mustang
Sally" and Aretha Franklin's "I Never Loved a Man.")

Most of the songs on the record are covers of soul classics that LaVette's
husband, a record historian, played around the house, but she wrote the song
"Before the Money Came (The Battle of Bettye LaVette)" herself at the prompting
of Patterson Hood, guitarist and vocalist for the Drive-By Truckers.

The Scene of the Crime isn't the first record LaVette made at FAME studios; a
disc she cut there in 1972 was shelved by Atlantic. Those songs didn't see the
light of day until the French label Art and Soul released it in 2000. Called
Souvenirs , it reinvigorated LaVette's career and led to her signing with Anti
Records in 2003.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127043684

May 21, 2010

We were not prepared for Bettye LaVette's appearance in the NPR Music offices.
We thought we were — having set up our cameras and recording gear and signed in
all the friends who had heard she was scheduled to play and beaten down our
door.

But then she blew into the room and conquered it before she'd sung a single
note. She teased Bob Boilen mercilessly and told all the women how beautiful
they were. She had reporters and producers doing her bidding all over the
building. But after we cleared a spot for her to perch on the corner of Bob's
desk, she went to work.

The first song she sang, a cover of Ringo Starr's "It Don't Come Easy," killed
the room. LaVette hunched her shoulders, dropped her chin and yanked the song
out of her throat. It felt like a confession. Every movement she made — whether
she threw her head back in a desperate wail or drooped it to close a phrase
signifying defeat — shoved further meaning into the words. Her voice was
bruising, shocking, and she sang really loud.

Before she began, LaVette asked us to close the blinds. It was 3 in the
afternoon, but she said she was about to sing some night songs. She sang end of
the night songs: "It Don't Come Easy," "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me,"
"Nights in White Satin." (Due to licensing issues, only "It Don't Come Easy" is
available in the video above, at least for the time being.) But she took those
songs — glammed up and kindly lit in the recordings we remember — and tore off
their clothes. She wrestled them to the ground. It was a real performance, from
which each of us emerged a little sore.

At the end, LaVette's accompanist — Alan Hill, who had trained a gimlet eye on
LaVette all the while — registered his approval. "We should play more office
parties," he said.